UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Mar 2019, 7:58 pm   #1
ParcGwyn
Hexode

Default Spectrum Analyser

Managed to pick up an HP8557A Spectrum Analyser with an HP184A display unit at Wythall Radio Rally for a very reasonable price, I was assured by the seller it was working but was unable to try it. Upon getting home I have had a play with it and it appears to be in excellent working order. It even came with the manual for the 8557A plugin. The plugin does not have a probe power socket fitted but a much more useful local oscillator output, I hope to use this output to feed a crude homemade tracking generator.

Dave

GW7ONS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	180164   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	180165  
Old 18th Mar 2019, 8:09 pm   #2
MrBungle
Dekatron

Default Re: Spectrum Analyser

That's a pretty good win. I don't think anything I've got from a radio rally has worked even if assured. A lot of the time it tends to explode after a couple of minutes
Old 18th Mar 2019, 9:32 pm   #3
chriswood1900
Octode

Its always the RIFAs that get you!
Old 19th Mar 2019, 9:59 am   #4
Andrew2
Nonode

A lovely scope. I used to have a 180 years ago and the quality of the display was second to none - bright, sharp as a pin and easily visible at even the highest speeds. I think HP used one of their posh tubes in it.
Old 19th Mar 2019, 10:59 am   #5
Humber888
Heptode

Odd, I thought I had posted a reply just now, but it's not showing. Anyway the gist was that the HP184A mainframe is a storage version of the 180 series of 'scopes. So, I hope yours is not suffering from screen burn due to the brightness being turned up too much in 'normal' mode. The display should really always be used in storage or variable persistence modes. There have been previous threads on the 184A and how it should be driven by others more qualified than me. You can get some nice plug-ins for the mainframe as well - anything up to 100MHz, 4-channel Y amps and corresponding dual timebases.

I expect the carrying handle has broken as the plastic hardened. It may have been replaced by one with an internal steel strap if you are lucky.

Mike
Old 19th Mar 2019, 1:03 pm   #6
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
A lovely scope. I used to have a 180 years ago and the quality of the display was second to none - bright, sharp as a pin and easily visible at even the highest speeds. I think HP used one of their posh tubes in it.
All of which matches my experience. Unfortunately, I had to part company with mine when the EHT module failed: suspect defective EHT transformer.

Al.
Old 19th Mar 2019, 1:21 pm   #7
MrBungle
Dekatron

Wasn't it the same tubes as the 1740 series as well?

I had a 1740 for a while and that was rather nice, apart from the flood gun illumination. I couldn't get on with that.
Old 19th Mar 2019, 1:50 pm   #8
ParcGwyn
Hexode

The tube appears fine and you're right Mike the handle is broken.

Dave
GW7 ONS
Old 23rd Mar 2019, 10:53 pm   #9
avocollector
Heptode

Great - if I had a cent for every time I was assured an item was working despite not being able to try it, I'd be laughing. So it's nice to know the assurance is not always false. Mind you part of the fun is getting it going regardless.
Old 24th Mar 2019, 12:26 am   #10
MrBungle
Dekatron

It’s ok until you’ve got four broken ham fest Tektronix scopes in the cupboard and no time to do anything about it

I may have to pass these on at some point.
Old 24th Mar 2019, 3:54 am   #11
Radio Wrangler

You can get sampling scope plug-ins to 1GHz and beyond.

a TDR.

There's even a logic analyser.

David
Old 24th Mar 2019, 11:51 am   #12
Humber888
Heptode

Yes I forgot the sampling plug-ins, although they are pretty rare. I have got the logic analyser plug-in (1601A). It's very basic - 12 bit and only able to display 1s and 0s, not octal or hex. The probes are the most fragile bit as usual.
Closed Thread