UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Feb 2019, 8:58 pm   #1
RobertoC
Retired Dormant Member

Default Cartridge\Stylus advice on Prinz SMC120 Music Centre

Hello there, i was wondering if somebody knows what kind of stylus is needed for my Prinz SMC120. It was missing already when I bought it so I have no idea, and I can't find any information online.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5877.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	179088   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5880.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	179089   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5875.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	179090   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5872.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	179091  
Old 26th Feb 2019, 9:53 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Cartridge\Stylus advice on Prinz SMC120 Music Centre

Hello and welcome.

Before worrying about the stylus, check the cartridge is OK - it looks like it's been damp and may have deteriorated.

Select the PU/Aux input, set the volume control to about mid-way, then stroke the greeny coloured bit of the cartridge with your fingertip. If you hear a noise in the speakers, that's good news. If not, you'll need to buy a new stylus and cartridge.

Nick.
Old 26th Feb 2019, 10:00 pm   #3
ekjdm14
Banned

What is it with these Prinz music centres coming sans-stylus? I'd agree it doesn't look like the cartridge has had an easy life so worth checking it has output first.

It may or may not make finding info easier, to know that Prinz was a house brand of Dixons. (Still found nothing on my SMC135D but you never know).
Old 1st Mar 2019, 4:11 pm   #4
ben
Dekatron

I may be wrong, but that cart looks like a Vaco luxor, the sort that uses a forked metal shanked stylus that is retained by a screw - which seems to be missing here!

Why such a modern unit would use such a crude pick up is beyond me. They were based on the ancient BSR TC8 design, and tended to be found in budget Japanese portable players from the early 70s. Most of these carts I have come into contact with in the last few years had also deteriorated and had total or partial loss of audio on one or both channels.

I would wholeheartedly suggest replacing it with a BSR SC12 which will track better, protect your records more, and sound far better. You could probably get the cheaper version without the clip mount, and mount it in your Prinz by carefully drilling a single small screw hole in the top of the headshell.

Last edited by ben; 1st Mar 2019 at 4:25 pm.
Closed Thread