UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 29th Mar 2008, 6:27 pm   #1
Dr-Watts
Heptode

Default Just finished restoring this Murphy, but what is it ?

Hi all,

I'm ususally in the TV forum but I feel obliged to let you know about the first radio restoration I've done in years !

I used to collect radiogram's but when the kids came along and we moved house they all had to go except one of em, which would you believe the wife wanted me to keep !

Anyway, I've been looking for a nice VHF radio for the bedroom for a while, preferably a 'Decca 66' but to no avail.
When I was at Harpendon last year I spotted this 'not so' lovely Murphy console radio with VHF.
I called Faith to let her know that I'd bought 'an item', and she said "as long as it's not another TV set, that's alright".
(I did buy another TV while I was there but it's small and I got away with it !)
To my massive surprise she loved the Murphy and said that it'd look great in the bedroom !
It basically worked but VHF was terribly deaf and quiet and AM was very crackley.
So, as I'd not done a radio since the mid 90's, I took it to Gerry's 'workshop day' in January.

After a complete 'Hunts' overhall, a few resistors and some TLC the radio works very well and sounds fantastic.
I tried to get 50 years of crud off last night and found that the only thing that would shift it was Meths
After all the dirt was removed I gave it a buff up with some paint restorer and then a good going over with some furniture polish and the resulting finish is brilliant.
Anyway, it looks like the dirt preserved it fairly well, in face there's no need for a complete cab restoration, I just touched up on the few scratches it had.

Anyway, here are some pictures for you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Murphy VHF Radio.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	16104

Click image for larger version

Name:	Murphy VHF Scale.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	16105

PS: Can anyone let me know the model No. as it's I can't find it, and a year please ?

Kind Regards

Dr. Dave
Old 29th Mar 2008, 6:34 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Just finished restoring this Murphy, but what is it ?

Very nice! Does it sound as good as it looks?

Maybe an A272C, see here: http://www.vintage-radio.com/recent-...phy-a272c.html

See also here, which shows the tabletop version too. Surprisingly, the console version is only a little more costly: http://www.murphy-radio.co.uk/murphy...ios_Inside.jpg

Nick.

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 29th Mar 2008 at 6:49 pm.
Old 29th Mar 2008, 6:42 pm   #3
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Searching Hard Drive for Model No Dave. I've got one of these but it's not in that condition! I was actually surprised to find there was a version
with VHF when I picked it up [Prestwich Manchester 1996] but of course the extra band is a clue re dating. I've seen the much earlier one as an accessory in up-market House Design Mags. You may be able to use that as an arguement if you want one of those as well. The comments you make confirm what we said about the good fortune to have an understanding partner!
Dave W

PS Looks like it's an A272C [for console of course] 1957
The Original being the A146C.
Somebody correct me if this is iwrong.

Last edited by dave walsh; 29th Mar 2008 at 6:53 pm.
Old 29th Mar 2008, 6:53 pm   #4
Dr-Watts
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Very nice! Does it sound as good as it looks?
Nick.
I must say, I'm surprised how good it sounds !

I listened to Bob Dylan's programme on Radio 2 last weekend and it was just brilliant.
Mainly big band and big production tunes that were from the same era as the radio (50's & 60's) and it sounded outstanding !
And thanks for the website tip
This confirms the age at 1957 - flippin eck, that makes it 51 years old !

Dr. Dave

Last edited by Dr-Watts; 29th Mar 2008 at 7:04 pm.
Old 29th Mar 2008, 7:12 pm   #5
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Very appropriate for the emphasis Dylan has on 40's/50's material Dave.
I suppose an early US set like the Tombstone Model could be even better.
[Especially if he featured Tombstone Blues but he isn't going to do his own stuff on Theme Time]. I like the baffle concept Murphy developed.
Ideal repro for an 8" spkr is apparently a 4'6" square board. Not very living room friendly! Murphy sets utilised the problem of folding this up into a useable box as a design challenge. Some are definetely not so beautiful but the ones that succeed are prominent in the baffle range [Console or Table Top] making appearances at "Britain Can Make It" 1946 or the Festival of Britain 1951 for example.

An e-mail Mr D read out during one program commented "Great show but why do you play so many old records Bob?" He said "Well Shirley, I guess there's just more of em!" Dave W
Old 29th Mar 2008, 7:27 pm   #6
MALC SCOTT
Octode

Hi, I have the same model set in my bedroom. It looks good and sounds nice. It has been left on all night many times.
Cheers, Malc.
Old 29th Mar 2008, 8:05 pm   #7
Tim
Dekatron

Hi Dr. Dave
If it is a Murphy A272C, these sound fantastic. The speaker is huge, and coupled with the large output valve(6P1?) and baffle certainly sounds impressive. One of these was one of my first proper valve radio repairs( see Paul's Main site) and ISTR the problem was mostly with the wax and Hunts decouplers(the latter tend to go open or low value). Mine was a repair for the guys at Eastville telephone exchange (Bristol) and is apparently still going strong after five years.
Old 29th Mar 2008, 10:23 pm   #8
Leon Crampin
Octode

Another A272C owner here. Excellent sets as others have confirmed - try playing CDs via the gram input. The 10" Celestion 'speaker works particularly well on the large floor mounted baffle although if I'm being critical, it's a little lacking in top.

The restoration of my set was straightforward. The AM aerial coil assembly has no can although it looks as though it should have one. On my set, the pick up sockets on the chassis (not the rear panel) were wired backwards - easily corrected by plugging in the flying leads to suit. The 'speaker on/off switch on the back is hopeless - link it out.

I use mine every day and it still has all its original valves - although I have a set of spares.

Leon.
Closed Thread