UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Feb 2011, 5:35 pm   #1
HMV 1120
Hexode

Default "Lowke Dane Tree" Crystal set.

Hello all,

I have recently aquired what appears to be a 1940's - 50's rebuild mounted within the original oak case of a 1924 Lowke Dane Tree set. My understanding is that they were built by the toy company Bassett Lowke (of model railway fame) to celebrate the opening of Daventry and its long wave service. They were named after a prominent tree of the same name cut down to make way for the antenna field. The set retains its BBC - EBM stamp (1924/5) and is serial number 1309. The instruction sheet is actually signed, in pen, "H.A. Basset Lowke". The instructions describe a shorting link on the RH side of the set for changing between MW and LW, this feature has been retained by whoever rebuilt the set. However the coil has been replaced by a Repanco style unit attached via new counter-sunk screws. The detector has been replaced by a diode mounted under the board. The tuning dial is a typical 20's style 0-100 ebonite piece, the tuning capacitor is a similar age Ormond unit, these two items may have been re-used from the original set? If anyone has any pictures of the set in its original form (or, better still, has one!) I'd be grateful if you could compare. Ideally I'd like to revert the set back to an approximation of its original condition and need to know what form the coil took and if the detector was an open or glass-enclosed affair.

Regards,
Robs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radio set 2.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	47213  
Old 23rd Feb 2011, 12:33 pm   #2
hilitevr
Pentode

Default Re: "Lowke Dane Tree" Crystal set.

Here is a picture.

Trevor
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img004.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	47271  
Old 23rd Feb 2011, 12:47 pm   #3
n_highfield
Pentode

Such a shame when one finds a nice crystal set box with the innards long gone - I have several GECoPHONE examples and a mystery one with a brass BBC tag rather than the usual transfer. The temptation is always to build 'something' into them even if you cannot get the right bits. I guess that is what has happened to your 'Dane Tree' - would be nice to get it closer to the original though.

NHH

BVWS member
Old 23rd Feb 2011, 1:42 pm   #4
HMV 1120
Hexode

Many thanks for the photo, what a strange position for the detector!

I plan to re-use the existing board, so unfortunately that layout won't be retained. It would make an intruiging future project though. I can re-use most of the existing terminals too when I get around to that point. For now I shall mount an enclosed detector horizontally above the tuning knob, and shall be on the look-out for an appropriate pointer and scale.

Many thanks,

Robs
Old 23rd Feb 2011, 2:55 pm   #5
hilitevr
Pentode

Hi

Am posting a higher res picture.

According to the notes at top left the tuning was by variometer. not variable condenser.

Itwas made in 1924 and originally cost £1.15. 0
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img005.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	47282  

Trevor BVWS member
Old 23rd Feb 2011, 3:35 pm   #6
HMV 1120
Hexode

Thankyou Trevor,

I assume the "Lowke Dane Tree" script is printed on paper rather than being a plaque?

My ebay shopping list now consists of dial, scale, detector and variometer - shouldn't take too long to aquire the lot.

Robs
Old 23rd Feb 2011, 5:05 pm   #7

Quote:
what a strange position for the detector
Looking at it and 'pretending' to adjust the cats whisker it seems to be a sensible position for a right hander.

Old 24th Feb 2011, 1:08 am   #8
HMV 1120
Hexode

But the face is slanted towards the operator with the detector 'handle' leaning away from the person listening? The ideal contact is as light as possible and this arrangement will result in the weight of the cats wisker assembly being directed on the contact.

Robs
Old 15th Aug 2011, 10:07 pm   #9
Station X

One post moved to a new thread here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=73055

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 16th Aug 2011, 8:25 am   #10
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Quote:
The instruction sheet is actually signed, in pen, "H.A. Basset Lowke".
The toy/model company was started and run by W. J. Bassett Lowke. (W.J.= Wenman Joseph).

H.A B-L was oviously related as the same address appears in the Bassett Lowke history.

Also see:http://www.radiomuseum.org/dsp_herst...ompany_id=6276

I dont recall what the relationship of WJ to HA, but, will see if I can find details in one of my books, just to keep the historical record straight.
Closed Thread