UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 18th May 2010, 6:32 am   #1
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default HD TV - Conversion to 405 and other standards?

With the increase, in the UK at any rate, of HD Television, I have wondered how long before 625 Line TV is going to be with us. From this, are we going to need an HDTV converter any time soon to run our old sets?

I know something about this, but nowhere near enough to answer this question, let alone build a converter. Does anybody else have any ideas...?

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 18th May 2010, 7:47 am   #2
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: HD TV - Conversion to 405 and other standards?

At this stage we rely on generally available HD boxes to supply and SD output to feed our Aurorae etc. AFAIK all HD boxes so far have an SD output. When this starts to change we will have a problem but I don't think it's one that needs solving yet.
Old 18th May 2010, 8:03 am   #3
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

The Linux/MythTV system converts source material to the resolution of the display device regardless of the resolution (or frame rate, or interlacing) of either.

I have yet to try it, but HD source would be arguably a better starting point for conversion to 819. I'll try it once I've finished fixing the set!

So this is a problem I've already solved four years ago

Cheers, Kat
Old 18th May 2010, 11:36 am   #4
paulsherwin

All the HD boxes I've seen have a standard SCART connector which provides downconverted analogue SD video. I suppose this may be discontinued at some stage, but it's likely to linger on for many, many years.

There is no immediate prospect of extensive HD on Freeview because of bandwidth limitations. The proposed four HD channels have raised many concerns because of the heavy compression required, leading to accusations that it is simply 'HD lite' or 'SD plus' and not worth bothering with. This subject is OT for the forum though.

Paul
Old 18th May 2010, 11:44 am   #5
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

When the times arrives that it's hard to find anything with conventional SD analogue output - and it doesn't look like anytime soon - let's hope that Darryl is around to make a little box with HDMI (or whatever) input and 405 etc out. It's not conceptually any harder than the existing Aurorae.
Old 18th May 2010, 1:55 pm   #6
tubesrule
Hexode

I have been asked about this many times over the years. We have fully converted to digital over here, and just as in the UK, all the OTA, Cable, DVD, etc. boxes have SD analog outputs and that doesn't appear to be changing anytime soon.

The bad news is the AACS is requiring ALL analog outputs be eliminated from BluRay hardware by the end of 2013. (also no analog HD after the end of 2010, just analog SD) They are calling this the "Analog Sunset".

To complicate matters, HDMI uses the HDCP protection scheme. With this scheme, the content provider (the actual disk itself) gets to decide if the device attached is allowed, and will disable the output if not. (The stated intent is to stop piracy but is more to do with Hollywood wanting ultimate control) This means that all devices need to license HDCP or may not work. For Sony, JVC, Panasonic, this is certainly not an issue. For people making one off devices this is a show stopper. Unfortunately this will affect all HDMI input devices that have the ability to copy or record the data. As of now, the only devices that will be HDCP compliant are display devices and broadcast equipment.

So that is the threat right now. Will it turn out that the studios actually enforce this? Who knows. As long as they don't than a low cost HDMI input can be had. Since this is up to the studios there will also be content released without enforcing HDCP, so there should be some content available, just maybe not everything you would want. Also it is unclear if this will extent to OTA HD. As of right now we should always be able to grab clear OTA data.

Darryl
Old 18th May 2010, 2:07 pm   #7
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

If it comes to it I have yet to see any encryption system that can stop an optical transfer.

Dave
Old 18th May 2010, 2:53 pm   #8
tubesrule
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
If it comes to it I have yet to see any encryption system that can stop an optical transfer.

Dave
So true Dave, and the AACS actually admits that high quality optical copies are easy to do today making these encryption schemes less effective, so perhaps they will not push this to it's full extent.

Darryl
Old 18th May 2010, 3:53 pm   #9
julie_m
Dekatron

If anybody makes a HDTV set with a CRT, then you can get the analogue RGB drives from the tube base (just need a bit of signal conditioning) and work out where the beam is on the screen from the scan coil drives.
Old 27th May 2010, 9:46 am   #10
dark1stu
Pentode

I believe Sony make a CRT HD monitor for broadcast use and I think there may be a TV about as I saw something on Sky where they were comparing a CRT HD TV and an LCD offering.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 27th May 2010 at 11:11 am. Reason: FSK problem fixed.
Old 27th May 2010, 11:22 am   #11
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Using the RGB from a CRT is a horrible way to do it. Yes of course there are professional CRT HD monitors but they are expensive items. Even if domestic CRT HDTVs exist they are rare and will get even rarer. Also who wants a huge lump of modern-ish CRT hardware sitting around as part of 405 converter.

When the time finally comes that analogue interconnect disappears we will be stuck with HDMI. Or whatever may replace HDMI by then. There are solutions to the HDMI encryption problem but I don't think we would be allowed to discuss them here.
Old 27th May 2010, 1:34 pm   #12
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

I saw a HDTV for the first time the other day. It was on display in Tescos showing a testcard. The picture was very clear indeed but what struck me as odd was that both the bottom frequency gratings were unresolved. Is this normal or am I misunderstanding the meaning of HDTV?

Dave
Old 27th May 2010, 1:42 pm   #13
julie_m
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin View Post
Using the RGB from a CRT is a horrible way to do it.
But you only have to do it once
Old 28th May 2010, 9:31 am   #14
dark1stu
Pentode

Just a thought, has anyone tried using a pc to output to a old TV as they can scale and resize inputs using software and you only need to pick out the luminance signal for a b&w TV.

In theory you could use a DVB card in the pc and output it as composite vid at 400 lines as a lot of the older cards can do this, I only know this due to messing with old game cabinets and running them off a pc. This was done in DOS, but I would not mind guessing someone with a bit if know how could convince Windows to do this.
Old 28th May 2010, 11:28 am   #15
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark1stu View Post
Just a thought, has anyone tried using a pc to output to a old TV as they can scale and resize inputs using software and you only need to pick out the luminance signal for a b&w TV.
Yes, it's entirely feasible. See post #3 in this thread. I think Kat's work was the subject of a thread some years ago.
Old 28th May 2010, 11:35 am   #16
julie_m
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark1stu View Post
Our own Kat Manton has been doing just that. Search her threads .....