UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 21st Mar 2008, 11:11 am   #1
howard
Nonode

Default 1982 Vega Selena B210 multiband mains/battery transistor portable

Hello again,

At last I've managed to acquire a nice example of the Selena B210 mains/battery multiband radio. These were built in the Minsk Radio Works in the former USSR approximately between 1975 and 1983 and were released simultaneously for export to countries 'with a temperate climate' with the
B211 (Eastern European version with FM 65.8 - 73.0 MHz) and the B212 (different SW bands) models and all appear to be export versions of the Russian spec B209 Okean set. They are similar to the 1977-1993 Selena B215/B216/B217 models but are an earlier design as they have a partial complement of old Russian 'top hat' germanium transistors and the circuit is the same as the one in the 1974 B208 model. Externally the B210 changed little during its long production, the only differences I have spotted is that the earlier pre 1979 Mashpriborintorg marked models have a surface mounted waveband switch and on some the middle part of the fascia is not painted, and the later Tento models have a recessed switch. This one has 1982 stamped on its modest sized loudspeaker and Tento on the back panel so it's one of the last B210s built. I have original TOE service sheets in English for these models, and the Trader sheet for the B210/B212 is available from Paul Stenning's website.

I 'won' this example from eBay for £11 complete with mains lead, and it arrived in clean condition and was working quite well on all wavebands, as someone had already been inside and quickly cleaned the contacts on the turret tuner, but the volume and tone controls were all noisy, the dial bulbs weren't working and the telescopic aerial was flopping about. Cosmetically, it has a couple of tiny scratches on the fascia and dial, but the fascia was bowing outwards in the middle so that needed to be fixed back - I daresay many would just shove some superglue behind that to fix it back, but the fascias on these aren't glued in place and come off easily for repair.

These sets are straightforward to dismantle, the back comes off after removal of four retaining screws, the wooden case lifts off after removal of the waveband switch (on early models it just pulls off, on later models loosen its 2 grub screws first). The front panel comes away after pulling off the knobs, unscrewing the four pillars inside, removal of the screw securing the telescopic aerial and connecting wire and removal of the loudspeaker (4 screws) and the black metal fascia comes off after lifting the bent over tabs around the underside of the front panel.

I cleaned all the external parts with upholstery cleaner. I straightened the the fascia, recoloured the faded cotton lining under it with some Kiwi Scuffcoat and fixed it back on. I fixed the floppy aerial by screwing the knuckle back into to the lower rod. I replaced one of the bulbs (2.5v/0.068mA) from a scrap set, cleaned the turret tuner contacts thoroughly, and squirted some switch cleaner into the pots and four switches. I also replaced a couple of the sponges to prevent vibration in the outer panels. I then reassembled the set and polished the case with Mr Sheen.

The Belarusian Selena radios are IMHO the best transistor portables built in the former Soviet Union, on AM this B210 exhibits excellent sensitivity on all wavebands and sounds very good. As for FM, I listened to Bach's St. Matthew's Passion on Maundy Thursday evening on Classic FM, a weak station here, and it sounded wonderful. I listened to the broadcast briefly on my Roberts R707 which I usually listen to Radio 3 on, and the broadcast was spoilt by background noise, the Roberts just doesn't have the same level of gain on FM.

The Vega Selena B210 is a very good radio and this 26 year old example works faultlessly.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selena_B210_front 001.jpg
Views:	1525
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	15877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selena_B210_wip 001.jpg
Views:	1356
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	15878  
Old 21st Mar 2008, 12:21 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: 1982 Vega Selena B210 multiband mains/battery transistor portable

That looks rather splendid Howard.

I like the way you do your write-ups to include a bit of background history, comparisons with other models and so forth. Makes it all the more interesting to read.
Old 21st Mar 2008, 12:32 pm   #3
Tom_I
Heptode

A fine job as usual, Howard.

I have seen comments about the performance of these sets on FM being only mediocre, but I agree with you. I have a B212 in regular use. FM reception is not wonderful here, but the Selena is very selective, and gives exceptionally stable and clean reception. I live near Luton airport, and of all the portable FM radios I use, this one is the least perturbed by multi-pathing from reflected signals. When other sets would be coughing and spluttering, often the only sign shown by the 212 is the tuning strength meter needle swinging up and down.

These sets are a bit challenging to work on, especially for an amateur like me, but when they are working properly, they are fine radios.

Tom
Old 21st Mar 2008, 1:04 pm   #4
howard
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren-uk View Post
That looks rather splendid Howard.
I like the way you do your write-ups to include a bit of background history, comparisons with other models and so forth. Makes it all the more interesting to read.
Hello Darren,

I am pleased with this B210, it's taken me some time to find one that's not cosmetically challenged.

So little is known about these USSR sets that I write down whatever I've found out about them as I collect them. I have three, two early B212s and this B210. The earliest one with the unpainted grille still works but it's a bit of a wreck

A pic of the Russian spec Okean 209 here ....

http://langaitis.zenonas-old.radios....p33176689.html

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selenas_B210-B212.jpg
Views:	1218
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	15880  

Last edited by howard; 21st Mar 2008 at 1:09 pm.
Old 21st Mar 2008, 1:14 pm   #5
howard
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_I View Post
A fine job as usual, Howard. I have seen comments about the performance of these sets on FM being only mediocre, but I agree with you. I have a B212 in regular use. FM reception is not wonderful here, but the Selena is very selective, and gives exceptionally stable and clean reception. ................
These sets are a bit challenging to work on, especially for an amateur like me, but when they are working properly, they are fine radios.
Tom
Hello Tom,

These sets are sensitive on all wavebands, amongst the best in my entire collection. I can't find much wrong with them either.

I am aware that they are challenging sets to work on but I have the TOE service documentation for the B208/B210/B212 to assist which is very good.

Howard
Old 21st Mar 2008, 2:23 pm   #6
Steve_P
Dekatron

These sets are really good - and another top class rennovation from a top class restorer!

Well done Howard.

Cheers,

Steve P.