UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jan 2022, 2:24 pm   #41
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Default Re: Repair shop

I think if the video of the interview with Mark Stuckey is watched, it will explain a whole lot about the programme which is just being speculated upon here. Again, the link is below. It's a bit long but watch at double speed or whizz through it.

He discusses the 'weepy' aspect too!

The video explains aspects of the show which clearly irritate some people. Just watch the interview!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWjkNcPvE14
Old 20th Jan 2022, 2:26 pm   #42
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian - G4JQT View Post
I think if the video of the interview with Mark Stuckey is watched, it will explain a whole lot about the programme which is just being speculated upon here. Again, the link is below. It's a bit long but watch a double speed or whizz through it.

It explains aspects of the show which clearly irritate some people. Just watch the interview!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWjkNcPvE14

Lawrence.
Old 20th Jan 2022, 2:49 pm   #43
agardiner
Octode

Clearly this show is coming across like marmite! Personally I like it but it is not surprising that the electrical restorations are the ones I can be critical of!

However - as others have pointed out, it is a TV show aimed at the masses. What I would like to add is that it is clearly having a positive impact on the public with regard to educating them that things CAN be repaired. I know that most of the craftsman in the show are now fully booked in their respective businesses for years ahead. That includes Mark on the radio front, who has since appointed a member of staff to his business.

I know my own small business has had many enquiries after the customer saw the repair shop. So overall, feel good tv with a positive impact.
Old 20th Jan 2022, 5:38 pm   #44
stevehertz
Dekatron

Having watched last night's programme I was just waiting for this! And sadly I think this thread is pretty much turning into a carbon copy of previous ones about the The Repair Shop. It's getting nowhere fast, it's proving nothing, and is of limited value other than to fuel debate and identify personal opinions - again. Like a stuck record, there are those of us who vehemently believe that it should slavishly cover the restoration of vintage audio equipment to the Nth degree of accuracy, and those of us who enjoy it for what it is (tears and all) and accept the editing and 'naughty' hidden technical mistakes and porkies as a mildly annoying but necessary parts of TV programme making. And ne'er the twain.

Last edited by stevehertz; 20th Jan 2022 at 5:45 pm.
Old 20th Jan 2022, 6:35 pm   #45
Electronpusher0
Nonode

I have just watched the video linked above, it certainly explains a lot, including the fact the Ferranti really did blow up during test.
I admit I was rather scathing about the various radio repairs but I now have a new found respect for Mark.

Peter
Old 20th Jan 2022, 7:13 pm   #46
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Am I right in thinking a completely different chassis was fitted into the Ferranti?
Old 20th Jan 2022, 7:28 pm   #47
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

I only watched about 20 minutes of the video. Will view it all another time.
I must admit, the video interview is easy watching. Don't be put off by youtube and the usual diabolical background music that is imposed on the viewer.
This is very well presented and relaxing to watch. Well done North Norfolk Amateur Radio Club! There are quite a few lengthy and interesting videos they have made available on youtube.

On another note, we just need to remember, the programme title is REPAIR Shop, not restoration.
Btw, I have watched very few of them as not a big fan.
Rob
Old 20th Jan 2022, 7:34 pm   #48
telstar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by telstar View Post
Yes I saw it last night. The "warm up" time for the Ferranti 145 seemed incredibly short.
145 ?

Lawrence.
Yes, it looks like the model 145 aka "jelly mould". Unless there is something else that looks like it?
Old 20th Jan 2022, 7:41 pm   #49
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes I saw it last night. The "warm up" time for the Ferranti 145 seemed incredibly short.
145 ?

Lawrence.
Yes, it looks like the model 145 aka "jelly mould". Unless there is something else that looks like it?
Doesn't look like it to me, different control layout for one thing.

Ferranti 145 photo in this link:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=136914

A program shot below (The Repair Shop)

Lawrence.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (94).jpg
Views:	126
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	250075  

Last edited by ms660; 20th Jan 2022 at 7:57 pm.
Old 20th Jan 2022, 7:52 pm   #50
kellys_eye
Octode

If anyone has any skill sets applicable to the subject being displayed then they will inevitably pick up on the errors and omissions.

Not exactly Repair Shop but when I see/hear Morse code on TV they 'sound' two or three characters and the actor decodes a full sentence....... grrrr...... but it is, as they say, TeeVee.

Viewer discretion advised!
Old 20th Jan 2022, 8:27 pm   #51
telstar
Octode

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

145 ?

Lawrence.
Doesn't look like it to me, different control layout for one thing.

Ferranti 145 photo in this link:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=136914

A program shot below (The Repair Shop)

Lawrence.
O.K then it isn't the model. IK could never afford either of these due to people wanting outrageous prices
Old 20th Jan 2022, 8:51 pm   #52
Panrock
Nonode

The Ferranti 145 was (just) post-war. Today it's notorious for its often-perished wiring.

A friend alerted me to this programme yesterday. The comments here have been interesting and make some good points about it being first a 'TV programme' etc.

I admit I rather threw up my hands in horror at what I saw since I believe that there are no short-cuts possible with a 1930s set if you want a safe, reliable result and originality is important too. That means a proper restoration. But this is the Repair Shop, innit... I'll get my coat...

Steve
Old 20th Jan 2022, 8:56 pm   #53
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

I suspect some of the main crafts people have skills so far beyond the producers that they are not given scripts, whereas "its only an old radio and I had one" may be in the producers minds.

I have done a couple engineering associated items for the local TV; one producer was very professional, the other was asking me to "jazz it up" (he got a polite explanation as to why I thought he was an idiot and was then no further trouble).

The programme does tend to be on the mawkish side. It could be improved if the repairers were allowed to gently explain how to look after the object better in the future, when it will then hopefully last a lot longer

Ed
Old 20th Jan 2022, 9:24 pm   #54
paulsherwin

This programme is as it is because it’s demographically targeted, as is almost all TV nowadays. It isn't made for people like us - to be brutal, it's made for people who buy plates from the Franklin Mint with syrupy paintings of Diana Spencer on them. There's no point in getting upset about it. Just enjoy it for what it is, or don't watch it. Bargain Hunt and other antique auction shows are very similar.
Old 20th Jan 2022, 9:59 pm   #55
Aubade65
Tetrode

I too like watching this programme from time to time; not the electrical restorations (annoying) but certainly the ceramics and wood restorations - fantastic skills to be admired. I have certainly picked up a couple of tips from them; may be there is scope for a spin off showing a more in depth view of the skills and techniques involved.

I one thing that does amuse me however is how they can work during bad weather in an old building with poorly fitted doors and holes in the walls. You would have thought that with all of the skills at hand they could have done something about it

Last edited by Aubade65; 20th Jan 2022 at 10:00 pm. Reason: Punctuation
Old 20th Jan 2022, 11:34 pm   #56
The Philpott
Dekatron

-Because i can pick up on clumsy editing, non-sequiturs, foul ups etc....i find that i enjoy it more than i would otherwise! I have to put on a different head than i would use for watching more niche technical programming (let's be honest, that's usually only available on DVD/bluray or even YTube)

Further to what Paul writes,the programme has to be the way it is, to expand the viewership to include the Franklin Mint/Danbury Mint type demographic, among other casual viewer groups. I have to be careful here, as my girlfriend has a 'plock' hanging in the kitchen. No use as a plate as it has a hole in the middle, and no use as a clock as the quartz mechanism is on the blink and i'm forbidden to replace it in case i break it (!?)

Dave
Old 20th Jan 2022, 11:46 pm   #57
Refugee
Dekatron

Those "plocks" very often have poor movements.
The original hands never fit a good movement.
Old 21st Jan 2022, 12:02 am   #58
mister valve
Hexode

Yes I saw that episode and as someone on hear mentioned, I too, thought it was a Battery set to start with. It seems to have ended up with a Ferranti 'Nova' Chassis (I have a 'Nova' Chassis up in the loft somewhere ) Which has the correct range of valves in it :- VHT4, VPT4, PT4D, R4. (all Ferranti valves) It is a short superhet. I managed to identify a Mullard 'FC4' & a Mazda 'AC2/PEN/DD', and a wartime 'BVA' rectifier valve, fitted to their chassis.

I was not very impressed with the neatness of the under chassis work & all the long un-sleeved component wires. However, the restorer did the right thing in changing the 'paper' and 'Electrolytic' capacitors, and some out of spec. resistors. I must say though, they did a nice job on the on the Bakelite cabinet. It had a lovely sheen on it.
Old 21st Jan 2022, 2:13 am   #59
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I saw that edition and anticipated the radio criticisms which are not without merit. After all no one questions whether or not the Japanese paper restorations of the Hindu religious poster were actually correct. Overall, the stories involved with all the jobs were very engaging. Yes it is a TV program but i think that most of us would agree there always seems to be a difficulty when explaining radio/tv restoration to the general public. It could be done better but what does the Cambridge "Producer" know about electronics? Brian Cox is very good [but a little tedious] when explaining the whole Universe and sends himself up wonderfully in the the last episode of Mandy shown on BBC2 on Wednesday! People are now queueing up for a guest appearance!

That said, my interest was in the fact that it was a Ferranti Lancastria Nova radio from the mid thirties. I've always known that the Company produced a few, not necessarily so elegant, examples as a sort of side line to enormous transformers etc but I thought that was mainly in the 1940's at the Moston works near Oldham/Manchester perhaps? How did this set even get into the depths of Wales?
There are endless repeated threads about restoring the bakelite finish of sets using the GPO telephone grade polish, as used to be supplied by Chas Miller. Metal polish seemed to be the thing
in the program and the effect was rather good! A bit like the the previous DJ deck the week before though, the sound output seemed to be rather lacking when he found a station-did he?

This week's Radio times has a feature about the presenter jade. He's fifty one, went to University and had his own successful business. Then he suffered a major illness and breakdown. At the age of 51 he is just now learning to read and write. How did he manage all that? He says he just asked questions all the time like, as in what day is it? [notice I didn't say "like" or "Go figure".

Dave W

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 21st Jan 2022 at 2:34 am.
Old 21st Jan 2022, 9:06 am   #60
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubade65 View Post
I one thing that does amuse me however is how they can work during bad weather in an old building with poorly fitted doors and holes in the walls. You would have thought that with all of the skills at hand they could have done something about it
They would not be permitted to do anything to the barn itself. Its a heritage building at the Weald and Downland Living Museum north of Chichester. The Repair Shop team just rent it.

I am a member of the Weald and Downland and have visited when the Repair team were filming. They do cause quite a stir among the visitors when they walk through the rest of the grounds. I watched Jay talking to a group of schoolchildren with their teacher, he spotted them and came over to talk to them and spent about 15mins with them.

As to repairs to the Barn, the museum have their own world class team of restoration experts, they run courses on all aspects of building preservation and restoration.

Peter
Closed Thread