UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jan 2022, 11:30 pm   #21
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Akai 4000DS. R2R record mechanism not functioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
I think the 2 different cam configurations being discussed is the difference between the Akai 4000DS models (and other similar models) and the Akai GX-4000 models.

David
After checking one of my GX-4000s I see that my conclusion above was erroneous.

Basically the GX-4000 is the same as the 4000DS (at least when comparing to 4000DS Mk.II), each with the 4 cams etc. On the GX-4000X the Record cam, again called Amp switch cam (B), actuates the PB/Record switch SW2 on the Amp PCB.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GX-4000 set to Record.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	250051  
Old 20th Jan 2022, 12:07 am   #22
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Quote:
I think the 2 different cam configurations being discussed is the difference between the Akai 4000DS models (and other similar models) and the Akai GX-4000 models.

David
After checking one of my GX-4000Ds I see that my conclusion above was erroneous.

Basically the GX-4000D is the same as the 4000DS (at least when comparing to 4000DS Mk.II), each with the 4 cams etc. On the GX-4000D the Record cam, again called Amp switch cam (B), actuates the PB/Record switch SW2 on the Amp PCB.

David
Update edits in bold above.

David
Old 20th Jan 2022, 10:24 am   #23
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
If erase is functional then the existing recording should be totally erased when you play back the tape.

David
For clarification only the section of the existing recording will be erased when you record over it, not the complete existing recording on the tape.

David

Last edited by Station X; 1st Feb 2022 at 5:36 pm. Reason: Quote fixec.
Old 1st Feb 2022, 1:45 pm   #24
petechunnie
Diode

Hi Dave and all.

Ok I've tested the erase function on the tape and it's functioning correctly, therefore the bias most likely is OK you say. Where to from here gents?
Old 1st Feb 2022, 9:41 pm   #25
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Do you see any signal on the VU meters when you playback a recording ?

Note - some recorders will only display the record signal on the VU meters, i.e. not the playback signal.

Have you checked Playback of a recording with headphones connected to the 4000 ?

If the erase signal is working correctly then pretty unlikely that the record bias is bad but the only practical way to confirm 100% would be to monitor the bias signal and make sure it is reaching the heads and that there is some record signal modulation present on the bias signal. This is best done using an oscilloscope.

If there is no playback signal on the VU meters when a recording is played back then once again scope monitoring is really required to see where the signal is being lost.

Not necessarily easy.

David
Closed Thread