UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Feb 2020, 12:49 pm   #1
G8vsjDave
Pentode

Default Ferguson four track recorder

Can I have some advice please? For Christmas when I was about 14 years old, I was given a tape recorder - ( I am now 69). It is a four track Ferguson machine with five piano key controls for rewind, pause, stop, play and forward. Sorry, I don’t know the model number. Apart from a few ‘airings’ over the years, it has been at the back of the cupboard since the late seventies. Well, this week I took it out of the cupboard and with some trepidation, powered it up. Much to my surprise, it powered up with no trouble, and played a tape. Then I discovered the fast forward worked, but was very slow, as was the re-wind. On investigation, I found the pivots that move the spools for forward and re-wind were VERY stiff – almost ceased. With care and not a little persuasion I was able to get a little thin oil on the shaft and soon had full re-wind and forward functions. A few days later, I noticed again a reluctance to FF. I assume there is a correct way to lubricate these pivots and with an approved oil or grease. Also, what is the best way to clean the slide switch and track selection switch – both are intermittent and well tarnished.
Many Thanks
Dave (G8VSJ)
Old 21st Feb 2020, 1:29 pm   #2
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferguson four track recorder

This thread should tell you what you need to do to free up your reel turntables:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=163039

Last edited by dazzlevision; 21st Feb 2020 at 1:44 pm.
Old 21st Feb 2020, 1:41 pm   #3
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Not familiar with Ferguson but if you can see/access the switch contacts then a light spray of an electrical switch contact cleaner, then exercise the switch numerous times should help.

Do this with mains power removed from the recorder and avoid getting the contact cleaner spray elsewhere. Power up and recheck switches, if still issues do more switch exercising.
Old 23rd Feb 2020, 11:16 am   #4
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

I had the Marconiphone version of that machine, it had a superimpose button and a B9A socket on the back which allowed me to monitor the "other" track whilst recording. I also remember being really pleased with myself when I successfully replaced the track selector switch, all those wires!
Old 23rd Feb 2020, 5:06 pm   #5
G8vsjDave
Pentode

That's the one. I am really pleased to get mine running again. My old tapes all seem to be Ok. Not bad for fifty years old.
Dave
Old 24th Feb 2020, 3:44 pm   #6
DMcMahon
Dekatron

So what did you do to get it going properly ?
Old 24th Feb 2020, 5:21 pm   #7
G8vsjDave
Pentode

I just oiled and exercised the pivots that move the spools to engage forward and re-wind rubber drive wheels. I don't think it's going to be a permanent solution however, it still tends to be a bit slow to engage FF when its cold. What sort of oil/grease should I use please. Also, does anyone know if it is possible to oil/grease the bearings on the motor. It has always made a slight rhythmetic sound (about 10 Hz), but it does seem a little louder since it has been woken up.
Hey, I'm probably being too fussy - it's working.

Dave
Old 25th Feb 2020, 8:04 pm   #8
Michael Maurice

What I do with these machines is to remove the screws holding the pivots in and then use heat, usually from a soldering iron to free the moving parts which are then completely removed.

Having removed them I clean all the moving surfaces with a degreaser before applying fresh grease and re-assembling.

The grease I use is this one

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 27th Feb 2020, 3:59 pm   #9
G8vsjDave
Pentode

Thank you Michael and DMcMahon. The switch cleaner hasn't turned up yet, but I collected the 'Super Lube' from RS this morning. It's made a HUGE difference. Re-wind and Fast -forward are instant, and it seems, with more torque because the re-wind and FF will happily pull a full reel of tape from a standing start. I also gave the rev-counter a tiny drop of clock oil.
Thanks again lads.
Dave
Old 28th Feb 2020, 12:43 am   #10
hillmanie
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8vsjDave View Post
Also, does anyone know if it is possible to oil/grease the bearings on the motor. It has always made a slight rhythmetic sound (about 10 Hz), but it does seem a little louder since it has been woken up.
Hey, I'm probably being too fussy - it's working.
Hi - I have a few of these, all fixer uppers of course and I've also had a similar noise though not necessarily the same issue. In my case it was the cooling fan and the cure was to carefully check all the blades and re-align any needing so

Cheers
TT
Closed Thread