UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Mar 2020, 5:40 pm   #41
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: BSR autochanger recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylrecords View Post
I did put a post in the WANTED section a while back, asking if anyone could build me a decent 'separate' from a good autochanger. Don't think had any enquiries. Unless I can find a decent autochanger already as a separate 'turntable with phono plugs' and no amp attached, or one with an amp and speaker connections but also with audio output for external system.
There is half-decent, Garrard 6-300 autochanger, in a wooden plinth, already wired, and really cheap - which is just want the OP wants right now on a eBay. Such "separates" are quite easy to find, they do not need to be especially made up.
Old 5th Mar 2020, 6:32 pm   #42
Techman
Dekatron

The problem with that thread that you posted the request in, is that advice and questions are not allowed to be posted, only direct offers of help, and I fully agree with this policy for that particular section. As it's not something perceived to be straight forward, most people will leave well alone. However, now there's a much clearer picture of exactly what you're trying to achieve, it might be worth you making another post in that thread, with a short explanation and a link to this thread - you never know, you may get an offer from someone, but obviously there's a good chance you may not.

As regards the Sobell radiogram - with it being fitted with a UA8 deck, it's likely to be a valve model, which begs the question as to what servicing has been done to the electronics. There could be coupling capacitor problems - if it sounds as bad on radio as it does on gram then the amplifier has problems, if it's just on gram only, then it's likely to be cartridge problems. It depends what version of the TC8 cartridge is fitted - there's different coloured versions, if yours is mono only, then it should be a light brown coloured TC8.
Old 5th Mar 2020, 8:05 pm   #43
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
.. I think I had one of these on an old radiogram before. Yes they are nice. Are these easy to service or any 'nasties in the basement'?
As easy as any autochanger, but a complete stripdown is recommended for good, reliable operation.
Old 5th Mar 2020, 8:39 pm   #44
PaulR
Dekatron

Is the 2025TC the one that will only easily take a narrow cartridge such as the Sonotone 9TA?
Old 5th Mar 2020, 10:31 pm   #45
ben
Dekatron

The reason I mentioned the two BSRs and Garrards specifically is that the OP says he wants a standalone deck to use with an amp in place of a Pioneer PL12 with an AT95E. Thus, he will need a deck with magnetic, not ceramic, cartridge. And only the better BSR and Garrard changers/arms will accommodate them. I like the 2025TC and c141, but they're not ideal for magnetic carts.

Or have I misinterpreted this?

Incidentally all the decks I suggest have metal platters, not plastic.
Old 6th Mar 2020, 1:06 am   #46
Michael Maurice

I may have a Garrard SL65B autochanger in a plinth. PM me if interested. It will be serviced though.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 6th Mar 2020, 8:14 am   #47
Vinylrecords
Triode

The radiogram was fully serviced and restored some years ago. Wax capacitors removed etc. The sound is fine on the radio, it's just the original 1957 tc8 cart is probably on it's last legs.

However, re an autochanger, I don't necessarily want a magnetic cart, as I have heard great sound from ceramics before, if they are fully optimised in the system. So not ruling out ceramics, but would want a decent one. The at95e is by no means an audiophile cart, its budget range, so not really up against high end specs.

I am probably more concerned about excessive motor rumble from an autochanger, but some would have been better than others I am sure. My Pioneer pl12d is hardly rumble free, it's a budget vintage turntable and while it's great, it's not high end overall.
Old 6th Mar 2020, 8:16 am   #48
Vinylrecords
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maurice View Post
I may have a Garrard SL65B autochanger in a plinth. PM me if interested. It will be serviced though.
Not familiar with this model. What's it like on rumble, and what's the best cart that would be happy on this deck? I am interested
Old 6th Mar 2020, 8:59 am   #49
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

See post 42 in this excellent thread for details of the SL65B.
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...t=89840&page=3

Essentially an autochange version of the SP25. Looks absolutely ideal to me!
Old 6th Mar 2020, 9:34 am   #50
Michael Maurice

Quote:
Quote:
Not familiar with this model. What's it like on rumble, and what's the best cart that would be happy on this deck? I am interested

The rumble will be no better or worse than an SP25 or similar, its a standard idler drive autochanger using the same basic chassis and mechanics. They were originally fitted with Sonoton 9TA's (Ceramic) or Goldring G800 (magnetic) In theory any moving magnet would work but the deck really doesn't warrant it.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 6th Mar 2020, 9:45 am   #51
Vinylrecords
Triode

I would be very interested in this. Looks ideal all round.
Old 7th Mar 2020, 8:56 am   #52
Vinylrecords
Triode

Quote:
I PM you.
Old 9th Mar 2020, 1:11 am   #53
julie_m
Dekatron

There is a generic "red stylus" magnetic cartridge, often seen fitted to "bedroom DJ" turntables as well as some of the more up-market USB ones, and these will track at up to 4g. (Much beyond that, and the stylus cantilever begins to foul on the plastic, resulting in audible distortion and possible record damage.) Should be available from any of the usual suspects.

They are not bad cartridges, certainly very listenable with a sensibly-rated amp and decent speakers.