UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jan 2015, 4:31 pm   #1
akaigxfan
Retired Dormant Member

Default Akai X360D speed issue

Hello. I'm having some annoyance with the correct speed on the Akai X360, which with the small wheel wont give me 7 1/2 speed. it will sometimes when the build up is slow, sometimes failing to change at all from 3 3/4.

If it does change up and reach 7 1/2 it soon slows down again. Anyway I've been using the 15 ips adaptor sleeve and pinch wheel then 1 7/8 is 3 3/4 and 3 3/4 is 7 1/2 and it'll do what I'm wanting it to do, but then recording is not quite right.

I've since discovered that it will work correctly with the correct wheel on for a short while say 10-15 mins, then it slows again. and it's most strange as playing with the speed selector sometimes it will work sometimes not. Once it was at 7 1/2 and I switched it to 3 3/4 and it still played at 7 1/2.

Please help with things to try. Otherwise its a nice machine. I've fitted a new belt today.

Last edited by AC/HL; 12th Jan 2015 at 4:48 pm. Reason: Readability
Old 13th Jan 2015, 8:43 am   #2
Yarraman
Tetrode

Default Re: Akai X360D speed issue

I'm not familiar with the X360, but slow or weak motor problems is usually caused by the "motor start" capacitor which is in series with the motor field winding. check the schematic, but It will need replacement.
Old 17th Jan 2015, 4:49 pm   #3
akaigxfan
Retired Dormant Member

Yes, seems to be the case. Thank you. However the cap seems to be a dual value one as these so often are, which is not a problem as I have some of the correct value and size however there is a miriad of wires going to 5 tags. I think I'll put it on the back burner for a while, does anyone know where I could get one from?

Thanks.
Old 20th Jan 2015, 3:01 am   #4
Yarraman
Tetrode

I should have called it a "Motor Run" Capacitor, but if you google it, I'm sure you'll find a supplier, otherwise use a high voltage polyester capacitor.
Old 20th Jan 2015, 8:19 am   #5
akaigxfan
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for that, I dont have the neccesary knowledge to know how to wire up a non exact type. This one has so many wires that's why it would need to be the same type as it would be straight forward.
Old 21st Jan 2015, 2:18 am   #6
Yarraman
Tetrode

There is usually 2 or 3 "Motor Run Capacitors" in one Capsule on the Akai Models beside the motor. the 50 Hz (Cycles.Per.Second) or 60 Hz switch "switches in" one or the other or both, so not all of them are used at once. I think the value "switched in" for 50 Hz is 2 uF? 600Volt?
I don't think you will get an exact replacement?, that's why you will need the Schematic and some discrete motor run capacitors or maybe a Technician
Closed Thread