UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Sep 2018, 4:50 pm   #1
K.C.pye1958
Pentode

Default Trying to get the best sound from my Stella ST571A

hello ,
i have a philips stella st571a record player and i fitted a bsr mono cartridge to it (2 pins) i played a few mono singles on it and there seems a bit of unclear/distortion in the sound yet if i press down on the tonearm the sound is more fuller and clear, therefore does the tonearm need more weight and if so can i adjust it (It is a garrard deck)

*****Also i have a hacker and was recently adjusting the screw on the rear of the garrard tonearm and a spring and grey plastic piece fell out and i need to remove the tone arm in order to refit those pieces but don't know how
can someone advise me on both these issues
all advice will be appreciated
Old 23rd Sep 2018, 6:54 pm   #2
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: trying to get the best sound from my philips stella

Which Garrard deck is fitted to the Stella? Weight adjustment varies from model to model.

I wouldn't recommend taking the arm off the other deck, they can be very fiddly to reassemble, involving correct positioning of springs and pins. If the pieces fell out with the arm in place, they must surely go back the same way, but you'll probably have to remove the deck from the cabinet to get at the back end of the arm.
Old 23rd Sep 2018, 9:03 pm   #3
teetoon
Heptode

Hello KC. I see you had no reply to your Garrard 2025 tc problem and assume this is the deck in your Hacker ?
There is no need to take the arm appart. At the back right hand side (looking from the front) there is a metal piece with a hole in it, Just sticking down under the black plastic housing. You press this in towards the arm and at the same time raise the arm up. It will stand upright then so you can see where to refit the grey plastic part. That grey part is the height setting for when the arm lifts.

If you get stuck, I will dig out my Hacker and take pictures.
Hope this helps.

David.

Last edited by teetoon; 23rd Sep 2018 at 9:32 pm.
Old 24th Sep 2018, 2:42 pm   #4
K.C.pye1958
Pentode

Default Re: Trying to get the best sound from my Stella ST571A

thanks David and Audio1950. i will try what you mentioned David with the hacker garrard tonearm and let you know how i get ion
RE: the stella which has an older garrard deck, i'm wondering why i get a fuller clearer sound when i place pressure using my finger on the tonearm and i'm wondering do i need a better cartridge,or is the tone arm too light, it is a valve model and i figure would be great if i could determine the cause,
thanks again for all your help
Old 24th Sep 2018, 3:01 pm   #5
Audio1950
Dekatron

I'll ask again..... Which Garrard deck is fitted to the Stella?
Old 24th Sep 2018, 4:03 pm   #6
K.C.pye1958
Pentode

I'm not sure it is a white one with a black turntable often seen on the Bush srp31c models
hope that helps
Old 24th Sep 2018, 4:58 pm   #7
K.C.pye1958
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetoon View Post
Hello KC. I see you had no reply to your Garrard 2025 tc problem and assume this is the deck in your Hacker ?
There is no need to take the arm appart. At the back right hand side (looking from the front) there is a metal piece with a hole in it, Just sticking down under the black plastic housing. You press this in towards the arm and at the same time raise the arm up. It will stand upright then so you can see where to refit the grey plastic part. That grey part is the height setting for when the arm lifts.
Hi Dave, i did what you said and now i can access that area much better, my New problem is that i can't seem to get the screw, spring and grey height adjuster to join up as the spring seem to taught in the centre for the screw to go into the grey plastic piece, i was wondering should the spring be on the threads of the screw? and is there a knack to it?
Old 24th Sep 2018, 6:02 pm   #8
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.C.pye1958 View Post
I'm not sure it is a white one with a black turntable often seen on the Bush srp31c models
hope that helps
It's an Autoslim, (says so in the centre of the turntable) and the weight is adjusted by a wheel set in the underside of the arm. The wheel turns on a threaded rod attached to a spring. With the arm upright, turn the wheel to the left to decrease the weight, and to the right to increase it.
Old 24th Sep 2018, 6:28 pm   #9
K.C.pye1958
Pentode

got that thanks again
Old 24th Sep 2018, 7:48 pm   #10
teetoon
Heptode

Hi KC. I think the screw goes into the plastic peg but the spring goes beside it. There is a little pip sticking up to locate it on the grey piece and it then gets pushed up against the top of the black arm housing.

David.
Old 24th Sep 2018, 8:02 pm   #11
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The Garrard deck on your Stella record player is likely to be a Garrard "Autoslim".
The tracking weight adjustment is the knurled bolt midway down the underside of the tone arm. Ideally it should be set 5 grams.
Old 24th Sep 2018, 9:18 pm   #12
K.C.pye1958
Pentode

Thanks David I will examine it more closely now and see how i get on thanks Edward also RE: garrard weight.i have adjusted the weight and there seems an improvement in sound
Closed Thread