UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Aug 2018, 4:35 pm   #1
OldTechFan96
Octode

Default E&V Megger Series 3 No Output

I bought a 500v Megger earlier in the year. There was no output no matter how much the generator was cranked.

I decided to have a go at repairing it after remembering how simple the circuit diagram was.

The diagrams online show two coils while mine has three. The year 1953 has been scratched into the Bakelite base.

I removed the generator and tested it separately with my DMM. 500VAC was measured at the terminals. I can rule it out as being faulty. It was treated to a strip down and re lubrication.

All three coils were also tested individually and measured 50K ohms each. '50000' was printed on one of the coils.

The movement measured 440 ohms each way and moved to each extreme.

I disconnected and tested the 0.1uf 1500V capacitor with the Hunts tester, it leaked at the 100V-200V range. It was replaced with a 630V capacitor as I did not have any 1000V ones.

My tests established that all of the main parts of the meter are in good order.

Unfortunately when everything was connected back together the original problem still remained.

Does anybody have any thoughts?
Closed Thread