UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jan 2020, 7:55 pm   #1
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re-configuring a Bench Grinder

I just stumbled upon a Youtube video which suggests a simple re-configuring of the way most bench grinders are set up.

The video is a bit slow-paced, but stick with it and it comes up with a very interesting idea that I'd never seen before.

What I wonder is whether there is actually a good reason for not doing this mod https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IS0guXV1bU

B
Old 15th Jan 2020, 8:09 pm   #2

Default Re: Re-configuring a Bench Grinder

It would be a right pain to sharpen lathe tools in that configuration. Old time knife grinders used the same layout hundreds of years ago. Spoiler, it's the last couple of minutes that matter (I skipped through and got the relevant information in 20 seconds)

This 24 minute video could be done in less than an A4 sheet of paper.

Last edited by Guest; 15th Jan 2020 at 8:10 pm. Reason: Not as long as I thought only 24 minutes rather than 28

Old 15th Jan 2020, 10:51 pm   #3
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Don't know about the rules on your side of the world, but that would be illegal under OH&S rules here.

Firstly it is spraying filings upwards so more chance of them getting into your eyes from the bottom edge of any safety glasses.

Secondly, the tool rest is way too far from the grind stone, it is not to be any more than a 1mm gap between stone and tool rest under our rules.

A persons natural tendency when placing hands on a bench or flat surface is to move them downwards from above, so the mod leaves a large area of the grindstone open in the horizontal plane.
Old 15th Jan 2020, 11:14 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

Seems to only be useable for knife sharpening, and like MM, I use my bench grinder for lathe tools and general engineering.

If you find period film of knife sharpeners in Sheffield culery firms, they used very large open stones. No rests, no guards. And they often were run wet. A rotating open stone isn't so dangerous as there is nothing to get trapped against. Stones with rests are actually more dangerous.

David
Old 16th Jan 2020, 1:02 am   #5
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Well, lathe tools apart, the position of the guard does not actually allow anything to be thrown vertically upwards, but rather, at a small but significant angle away from the operator. Freeze the video at around 21:40 to see the exact alignment.

With a bench grander, I prefer goggles to glasses, so nothing can get in from underneath (or the sides, or from above) anyway.

I recall watching a documentary about cutlery grinders in Sheffield long ago. Often working with dry stones, the air in the workshop was thick with particles of silica, and having started work at the age of ~13 years old, many were seriously ill by the time they reached 30.

B
Old 16th Jan 2020, 7:20 am   #6
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Next to the old grinding stones used to be a bit stalagtite of goop from grinding. a few grinders were killed not only from dust but from the stones shattering, they ran fast too.

Won't be doing my grinder I can sharpen knives ok as it is further up the stone same with drills.

Andy.
Old 16th Jan 2020, 3:02 pm   #7
Julesomega
Nonode

I wouldn't let the guy in my workshop. Fortunately almost every machinist and retired polisher with a YouTube account has posted warnings in the 162 comments

It's good here
Closed Thread