UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Oct 2018, 10:45 am   #1
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Hornsea Radio Rally 14th October

As per title, I hope to see some forum members there. Anyone going tomorrow ?

John.
Old 13th Oct 2018, 1:18 pm   #2
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Hornsea Radio Rally 14th October

Looks like you and me so far John!
Old 13th Oct 2018, 1:45 pm   #3
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Yes David. I should have said its in the East Riding of Yorkshire at the Floral Hall, Hornsea, HU18 1NQ doors open 10am £2 admission under 14 free, refreshments available. I do hope to see some forum members there.

John.
Old 13th Oct 2018, 1:52 pm   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

As per the sticky thread in this section, please give more notice than one day, so people can make arrangements if they were not previously aware. A couple of weeks is good.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 13th Oct 2018, 4:25 pm   #5
ex 2 Base
Heptode

Hang on David you have left me out. I have a stall already booked, nothing radio wise though. Clearing out a shed, lots of tools, big transformers, electric welder etc could go on. The event has been publicised on RSGB site as usual. Ted, further up the coast where it's very windy.
Old 13th Oct 2018, 5:02 pm   #6
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Oldjohn, thanks for flagging this up, I would not have noticed it otherwise.

SWMBO (who has never been to a rally with me) has provisionally agreed that we can swing out that way as part of a planned ride out we were going on in that direction anyway, assuming nothing else gets in the way. It's been many years, maybe 20 or more, since I last went to the Hornsea rally.

I remember it being quite small, as local rallies are apt to be, but still quite a decent little 'do'.
Old 13th Oct 2018, 7:58 pm   #7
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Hmm, tempted, but it does clash with the last running weekend at Internal Fire Museum....

Will have a look and see how I feel in the morning
Old 13th Oct 2018, 8:32 pm   #8
Half a Mullard
Hexode

I appreciate heads up such as these, thank you John
Ironically we were in Hornsea today
I'll have a word with SWMBO
Old 14th Oct 2018, 6:35 pm   #9
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Unfortunately SWMBO looked in horror at the met office forecast for the Hornsea area today - 90% chance of rain for more than six hours. Not that it would have affected our visiting the rally per se, but it made the other things we had planned to do while in the area untenable, so we ended up not going in that direction.

I hope the rest of you were not so easily discouraged and had a good day out. Did I miss anything good?
Old 15th Oct 2018, 11:14 am   #10
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

I arrived there early to set up stall in the dry, then the heavens opened .. all day. In spite of the weather it was a good day and I met a few forum members.

John.
Old 15th Oct 2018, 11:54 am   #11
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Yes - a shame about the weather. Saturday was a glorious sunny day - 24C at 10pm, very windy but the wind was warm.

We got to Hornsea at 8am yesterday, just in time to unload and set up before the rain set in. As always, all tables were taken and despite the weather, there were lots of visitors, though whereas on a fine day, as it's in the Floral Hall right on the seafront it would go on well into the afternoon, by 2pm yesterday, most visitors had left and stallholders were packing up. Seemed to me that a lot of equipment remained unsold, but then who is going to buy a secondhand multimode transceiver of unknown provenance that's 25 years old or more, even though it might appear well looked after?

Just £7.00 a table with electricity laid on free if asked for. (Some car boot sales charge £12.00 for a pitch in a sodden windswept field up to the knees in grass). I had a table to dispose of low value items no longer of use to me, that I'm reluctant to throw away, but which would cost more to post than they're worth. I got rid of quite a lot of new (old stock) die-cast boxes, aluminium and ABS project boxes that I've had for decades, and lots of other bits. Anything that didn't sell is off to the tip or one day it will end up in a skip marked 'Grandad's Junk'.

I've attached a few pics.

First is my wife on sales duty, second is of the Bring & Buy, third is the husband & wife team of 'Canny Components' from Gateshead, then a couple of general pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trader Jen.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	170978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bring & Buy.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	170979   Click image for larger version

Name:	Canny Components.jpg
Views:	88