UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Nov 2006, 2:32 pm   #1
Vespaman
Retired Dormant Member

Default Rejuvenating volume pots.

Some advice please from all you experts out there.

My Ferranti U1015 has a really dodgy volume control (1meg); noisy and switch not fully working. Rather than try to dismantle the thing I will buy a new one. One site has what I need but it lists two types: log-law and linear law. Which should I use and what is the difference?

Last edited by Darren-UK; 3rd Aug 2007 at 1:26 am. Reason: Make/model added to text.
Old 10th Nov 2006, 2:39 pm   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: My Ferranti u1015

Always log for volume controls. The resistance of the track is distributed logarithmically, with the result that when using the control you have the impression that volume increases in linear fashion. I'd still put in a word for prising the thing apart, cleaning it up and seeing what happens, though: you know the existing control fits, and you'll be fortunate indeed if you can find a replacement that doesn't need adapting in one way or another.

Regards,
Paul
Old 10th Nov 2006, 2:48 pm   #3
paulsherwin

I agree with Paul, try dismantling the old one. It usually isn't too difficult and once you have it apart you can clean the carbon track properly. There's nothing to lose - you can always buy a replacement later. Modern pots aren't easy to track down with these values, and will always look wrong.

Paul
Old 10th Nov 2006, 11:14 pm   #4
Vespaman
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks, guys. I'll have a bash at dismantling the thing, I did one many moons ago and I remember it was not too challenging.
Old 11th Nov 2006, 9:31 am   #5
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

The problem is often tarnish on the ring of the wiper contact, not the actual track. Nothing that a bit of Brasso on a Q-tip won't cure.

The spindle will come out if you spread the circlip - put thick grease on it and clean and tension the contacts.

Early pots usually last for years if they are not burnt.
Old 14th Nov 2006, 9:39 am   #6
Vespaman
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: My Ferranti u1015

Thanks for the sage advice all you experts. I dismantled the pot yesterday, not that easy as the plastic and metal parts were a very tight fit. Nevertheless once the years of gunge were removed the radio is back to full health.
Closed Thread