UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Dec 2006, 10:00 pm   #1
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Default Mystery Pye Transistor Radio (Transpired, model Q8).

Hi,

Apart from a guess at "late fifties" and the obvious "Pye made it" I've drawn a blank, so it's time to post a couple of pics and see if anyone recognises it. I'd be interested in model number, approximate date and pretty much any other information. I wonder if "badge engineering" had set in by the time this was made and the set appeared in other guises?

It's yet another set in my collection which takes a PP7, I think it's time I started making replicas.

It works, though needs the volume and wavechange switch cleaning. It goes without saying that the case needs dismantling and a very thorough clean.

I fell for it while collecting a couple of Ever Ready sets from Mike Phelan, it seemed like an attractive set in an unpretentious kind of way. The speaker's large for the size of case, they couldn't have fitted a bigger one in. I like the way, in common with some other sets of the period, it proudly announces "TRANSISTOR" in prominent lettering.

Cheers, Kat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pye-transistor-01.jpg
Views:	956
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	7326   Click image for larger version

Name:	pye-transistor-02.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	7327  
Old 19th Dec 2006, 11:26 pm   #2
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Default Re: Mystery Pye Transistor Radio

Hi Kat,

Nice sets these, one of the "built to a price" Pye offerings and a good performer.

Model is the Q8 chassis and dates from around 1960 if memory serves.

The same chassis cropped up in the Ekco version as well, PT378, rounder case and rather more sought after for some reason.

Two variants, one with Mullard transistors and the other with Newmarket.

I have examples of both in the collection, one Pye in the same colours as yours and an Ekco in red and cream, awaiting restoration.

Worth restoring and a lovely little set in my opinion (well I would say that wouldn't I? )

Regards,
Old 19th Dec 2006, 11:42 pm   #3
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

Thanks Brian... I'd wondered if this was a relative of the Ekco PT378 as the proportions and size looked very similar.

I also could have answered the question by searching the forum better... Oops... (though in my defence I only found that when looking for pics of the Ekco.)

It'll get the attention it deserves in due course, my initial impression is of a set which sounds better than anything this small should and which seems quite sensitive. Now I know the Ekco's a close relative I think that's an excuse to add another set to the collection...

Cheers, Kat
Old 20th Dec 2006, 6:23 am   #4
howard
Nonode

Hello,

I never expected to see an Ekco built set with a PYE badge on it, but it is. I also have an Ekco built Ferranti PT1104 but that is the same shape as the Ekco. Pics below of a 1961 first edition Ekco PT378 to confirm its identity, the PCB with the waveband switch on the left, the dial bezel, and the switch plate on the side are the same as those on the PYE.

The Ekco PT378s are very common and fetch very low prices nowadays, my last eBay win was just £1.73, so theyre not that sought after now. On the other hand I've only seen a couple of those PYEs which I think would attract far more interest from collectors.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1961EkcoPT378 001.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	7333   Click image for larger version

Name:	1961EkcoPT378 002.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	7334  
Old 20th Dec 2006, 1:58 pm   #5
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

I think another question has been answered by all the pictures of the Ekco version...

The sides of the Ekco aren't vertical, so the wavechange switch is mounted on the PCB at a slight angle.

Now look at the rear view of my Pye. As the (cheaper?) case on this set has vertical sides, the circuit board has been mounted at a slight angle to compensate. I'd wondered if it hadn't been assembled correctly but a look at the way the wavechange switch is attached to the PCB shows that it's designed to be angled. So the only way the Pye set can fit together is with the PCB at an angle, which looks a bit odd...

So, I guess we now know which set came first, the board was designed specifically for the Ekco case with its angled sides, the Pye version came later.

Cheers, Kat
Old 20th Dec 2006, 2:22 pm   #6
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

These sets were produced during the BEI period.

British Electronic Industries was a combination of Pye and Ekco to share facilities, some products and designs as a means of reducing production costs.

Ekco at this time were in deep trouble - even deeper than Pye - with huge stocks of TVs they couldn't sell and in desperate need of new models.

This was thus an early example of "badge engineering" and extended to Ekco's Ferranti badged products as well.

The outcome was not good for either party and led to the later takeover by Philips after the demise of the ruling Stanley faction within Pye.

As Kat points out these sets perform better than they have any right to, they are particular favourites of mine (as you may have guessed).

Regards,