UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Old 25th Jan 2024, 3:53 pm   #1
Malcolm T
Hexode

Default Analog multimeter repair on Ohm scale

I have replaced the 1.5v and 9v batteries but the meter still only reads 2.3 rds of FSD on X1k X10 and X1 ranges however on X10K it attains full FSD and beyond ie fully adjustable with the zero up pot, there is no visual damege to the components , very strange .
Does anyone have any suggestions as to a possible fault .
Malcolm T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2024, 3:54 pm   #2
Malcolm T
Hexode

Default Re: Analog multimeter repair on Ohm scale

2/3 two thirds FSD
Old 25th Jan 2024, 4:18 pm   #3
Vintage Engr
Heptode

Could we have the meter make/ model?
Vintage Engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2024, 8:43 pm   #4
Malcolm T
Hexode

HT -320 , that's all it states on the handbook, from memory it is circa early to mid 90s but would hazard a guess may be also late 1980s . will post a photo soon
Old 26th Jan 2024, 10:03 am   #5
stuarth
Heptode

IIRC, the HT-320 is a fairly generic Far Eastern analogue meter.

The lower 3 resistance ranges use only the 1.5V battery, the highest range uses the 9V and 1.5V in series. The obvious fault is a failing 1.5V battery or dirty battery contacts.

These meters have a universal current shunt, ie a string of resistors across the movement for the current ranges, and the resistance ranges tap into this resistor string. If one of the low value resistors at the lower end of this string has changed value (but not gone open circuit), it will affect high current and low resistance ranges without significantly affecting voltage, low current or high resistance ranges. Do you have a second meter to measure resistor values and to check all current ranges on the HT-320?

Stuart
stuarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jan 2024, 12:19 pm   #6
Malcolm T
Hexode

After thinking about this and staring at the 1.5v batteries and the compartment for some time it dawned on me what i may have done . It began a few years ago when i wanted to dispense with two 1.5v batteries and just use one 3v battery, so in my infinate wisdom i removed the two plastic moulding ends that formed the two AA battery holder as it had a horrible screw contact for the series connection .
I then installed a 3v Lithium battery AA into a soldered in holder to replace the two AA batts, but there was already a dodgy zero up pot as well that i ignored.
However reading the comments here i replaced the lithium AA with New Alkaline AA into two separate AA holders but rather stupidly connected them in parallel as per the Lithium single AA holder hence only getting 1.5v and not 3v into the meter, Re-wiring for series AA connection ie 3v the ranges came back to normal and can now zero up fully on all, however theres now the dodgy pot , it must need a switch cleaner clean out now . So i,m now a happy bunny.
My fault i,m afraid , lesson learned here.
Thanks for all the comments and help.
A valuable little meter saved.