UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jul 2005, 9:43 am   #1
Welsh man of the valleys
Retired Dormant Member

Question Marconiphone Type 131 Speaker Info Wanted

Hello.
This speaker came in to my possession last week and I'm trying to find some information such as age, is it collectable and would it work with a old Phillips Valve reel to reel recorder. Is there anywhere where I could take it to find out the wattage (Cardiff--Bridgend Mid Glam)
Thanks K

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Marconiphone 001.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	1117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Marconiphone 009.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	1118   Click image for larger version

Name:	Marconiphone 008.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	1119  

Last edited by Darren-UK; 4th Jun 2007 at 7:14 pm. Reason: Links removed as they point to already posted thumbnails.
Old 24th Jul 2005, 9:50 am   #2
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Marconiphone Speaker Info Wanted

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I think (from what I remember of researching my unit), that if you look at the labels pasted in the bottom of the box, they will mention some Marconi models that the speaker is suitable for use with. I then looked these up in "Radio! Radio!" (by Jonathan Hill - see the main site for details), to get a good idea of the date of manufacture - you can assume that it was made in the same year, or just after, that of the newest model listed. An internet search of the model numbers may also give ages.

As to whether it will work with a reel-to-reel recorder, I suspect that in its original form, no, as these were usually intended for use with high impedance outputs (note the matching transformer at the bottm of the box). There is a label that seems to give the transformer connections for different impedances.

It will probably handle around 2W, this is a common output power for sets of this period.

Are they collectable? YES, though often not that valuable, I've seen similar units go in the £20 to £30 range. The earlier moving iron types usually fetch more.

Jim.

Last edited by jim_beacon; 24th Jul 2005 at 9:56 am.
Old 24th Jul 2005, 10:04 am   #3
Welsh man of the valleys
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Marconiphone Speaker Info Wanted

Thanks Jim
I've got pics of the labels,you'll have to magnify them up a bit, not very good quality but if not good enough I'll go and take some more..
Thanks K
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Marconiphone 005.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	1120   Click image for larger version

Name:	Marconiphone 006.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	1121  
Closed Thread