UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jan 2020, 8:53 pm   #1
longneck90
Hexode

Default Bachelor valve radio

Hello to all. I may have asked this question on this Forum before, but I thought I might give it another try. I wonder if any Forum Member would have any information about this 'Bachelor' radio. I can't find out anything about it. All the best. John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1221622.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	197600   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1221623.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	197601  
Old 22nd Jan 2020, 10:02 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Bachelor valve radio

Any chance of posting some pictures of the chassis top and bottom? Also a note of the valves can be useful.

It might be a 'stores' radio....sold through a retailer but made by Plessey.

For example 'Barker 88' sets were sold through the Barker furniture stores. They were made by Plessey.
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 2:49 pm   #3
longneck90
Hexode

Hello to all. Thanks Sideband; Here are some photos of 'Bachelor'. I don't know identity of missing valve. All the best. John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1231625.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	197637   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1231626.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	197638   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1231627.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	197639   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1231631.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	197640   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1231632.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	197641  

Old 23rd Jan 2020, 6:08 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

In the immediate-post-WWII era there were loads of small radio-manufacturers, often set up by demobilised "Signals mechanics" or REME-types, who produced a range of radios of variable quality/performance, frequently using a lot of 'Government Surplus' components.

A local 'jobbing joiner/carpenter' would have knocked-up cases using whatever wood was available in the times-of-rationing-and-austerity.

Looking at your "Bachelor" it could well be one such radio - a simple superhet. Though it's a bit more-upmarket than many because it includes a shortwave band!

I don't see any signs of a mains-transformer, power-supply rectifier/smoothing-capacitors or an output-valve/transformer; I'm wondering if the assorted connecting-leads might have connected to another chassis which held these?
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 6:17 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler

The 'E' prefix valves suggest there has to be a mains transformer that went with the chassis... I first wondered about it being a battery set but 6.3v high current heaters quash that idea. Likely the output transformer was on the speaker. The rectifier would have been on a bracket off the mains transformer.

David
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 8:29 pm   #6
AC/HL
Dekatron

No tone control, could it have been an add on tuner unit?
Interestingly, all the stations are named except the German ones. Sign of the times perhaps.
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 9:38 pm   #7
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post

I don't see any signs of a mains-transformer, power-supply rectifier/smoothing-capacitors or an output-valve/transformer; I'm wondering if the assorted connecting-leads might have connected to another chassis which held these?
That's an interesting observation....it doesn't look complete...most likely part of something else. As it is, it looks like a 'front-end'...The missing valve could be an ECH35 mixer followed by the EF39 IF amp and the EBC33 as detector/AF amp. There would then be a power supply and amplifier stage possibly on a sub-chassis. Maybe it was a small table radio-gram.

As it stands it's not much use although it would be interesting to knock up a power supply and see how it performs as a tuner.
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 11:09 pm   #8
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Given what Tanuki said re the post war situation, post 4*, I note that Batchelor [Horace] was the name of a well known Radio Luxembourg presenter! Probaly a long shot [there's a spelling difference] and I'm not suggesting a direct connection but it was a name associated with Radio.

Dave W
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 11:22 pm   #9
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Horace Bachelor wasn't a presenter oas such, but a regular advertiser on R. Luxembourg, promoting his 'infra-draw' method
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 11:56 pm   #10
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Horace had a 't' in his surname. I'm not sure we recognised the difference between presenter and advertiser then as he "presented" his own ad inserts very authoritatively. We were only used to the BBC which had ceased being a private company on January 1st 1927 so, despite the ads, it was all a bit the same to the listener even in the fifties and the very early sixties. I'm not even sure I'm on the right track at all here [as the radio is dated 1947] but there haven't been any other suggestions as John said in the first post. Someone may well come up with something yet, especially on this great Forum.

Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 24th Jan 2020 at 12:06 am.
Old 24th Jan 2020, 11:10 am   #11
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Looking again, from what I can see, the chassis also doesn't have a volume-control - it looks to only have tuning and wavechange.

One of the wires from the rear of the chassis also looks to be a screenrd/braided one - presumably the audio output? This further supports my idea that it's designed to work with a separate amplifier/power-supply.
Old 24th Jan 2020, 11:31 am   #12
ms660
Dekatron

Looks like a bitsa to me, that tuning scale doesn't look like an original fit to that chassis.

Tuning control on the left.....?

Lawrence.
Old 24th Jan 2020, 8:02 pm   #13
ms660
Dekatron

Just another observation....The type number on the last IF transformer "IF502" is on an IF transformer in an old Ebay listing, the description says that the transformer was used in some Defiant and also Champion models...

Lawrence.
Old 25th Jan 2020, 7:01 pm   #14
longneck90
Hexode

Hello to everyone. Sometimes, it takes me quite a while to respond to observations on my 'post's. The reason. I don't have an Ipad, Laptop, or any 'modern' devices. I visit my computer, once, maybe twice a day, so sometimes there is quite a delay before I comment on answers to my queries on this Forum. As for the 'Bachelor', I can add nothing. Because of the 'Bach', I thought it might have been some reference to the composer J.S. Bach, a German. Thanks for all the comments. All the best. John.
Closed Thread