UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Sep 2011, 10:38 am   #1
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Bush wall clock Radio

I have a Bush 538A Wall clock radio from c1970. The clock movement is faulty and I hope to fit a Quartz movement. Has any one found an exact replacement for the original? The second hand is approx 18mm from the front of the movement. The movment is secured by an externaly threaded 10mm bush, the hole in clock face is countersunk. I have a few clock movements here but nothing like what I need. Anyone know what I need? Thank you for looking, John.
Old 12th Sep 2011, 12:29 pm   #2
grundigsatelite
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Bush wall clock Radio

Go on eBay, they have lots of brand new battery movements which have the same thread your talking about. Also old battery Kienzle movements are the same thread type. If it's slack when you tighten up, either cut the thread smaller or build up with rubber washers. I believe the movements come with one rubber washer? Also, the seconds hand you will have to paint red like the original.

PS: fab clock radios, either in orange or white.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 15th Sep 2011 at 12:07 am. Reason: Genillit.
Old 12th Sep 2011, 5:14 pm   #3
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Shame to scrap the movement, John. What's wrong with it?
Old 12th Sep 2011, 7:10 pm   #4
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

When I first received the clock it was losing 5 mins a day after cleaning battery terminals 2 new batterys and a week of adjusting I thought it was about right then it was no better. I had never gave repaire a thought with quartz movments being so cheap, I had not even noticed the pcb in the back of the movement. I will have a go at it if there are caps and resistors in there, I would like to keep it a original as possible. John.
Old 12th Sep 2011, 9:04 pm   #5
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

The clock has a black case with clear rear cover and a circit board. The pcb has two transistors a coil, 330k resistor and a 3.3uf 6.3v cap. I have just changed cap for 3.3uf 25v slightly larger but plenty of room, The original cap had high ESR. Inside was clean no sign of anything sticky. There is a double disk with a small magnet on each that "rocks" with a fixed coil between them. I will report back on the acuacy of the clock hopefully in about a week. John.
Old 12th Sep 2011, 11:07 pm   #6
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

No magnetic contacts /conections as such. I think the coil repels the pair of magnets as they get near. I'm not sure if this is what you meant. John.
Old 13th Sep 2011, 2:19 am   #7
Jason Pero
Retired Dormant Member

This funny flat round coil is 2 windings, one common point and two wire, each go to a transistor's output, and trigger winding goes to the base of transistor. Every time balance passes through the trigger coil, this sends out a pulse to the base of transistor, triggering a power pulse through a impulse winding, kicking the balance around. Works on both directions.

Movement needs taken apart to clean and lubricated with light clock oil. Send out the movement to a clock/watch hobbyist if one can find one to do the repair.

Otherwise quartz movement can be had with different mounting designs.

Cheers.
Old 13th Sep 2011, 9:23 am   #8
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

John
It's as Jason says. They are used in car clocks as well.
PM me if you want me to have a look at it as scrapping it for q***tz junk is sacrilege!
It probably just wants a strip, clean and oil.
Old 13th Sep 2011, 10:24 am   #9
paulsherwin

If you decide to take the quartz route regardless, your local Poundland or equivalent is likely to stock several types for you to choose from.
Old 13th Sep 2011, 12:31 pm   #10
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Hi Mike, Thank you for your kind offer, I might take you up on it. I am still testing it, first hour spot on, second hour seems to have lost 4 minutes. Hands are tight on shafts and clear each other. I have cleaned the battery contacts and tined them. Cogs Slipping? I will give it a few more hours before investigating. John.
Old 13th Sep 2011, 5:03 pm   #11
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Hi John

If one or both hands were moving separately then they would be out of sync with each other, so that's not the problem.

There should be no lubricant at all on any of the wheel teeth (clocks have wheels, cogs are for old mangles and combine harvesters ).

However, yours is losing erratically, not at a constant rate so one guess is that there's something wrong with the parts between the balance (thing with magnet) and the wheel train, or one of the wheels has become loose on its arbor.

Any chance of a close-up of the movement? Also, does it have plastic wheels? Some of these are notorious for teeth breaking when the phantom bodger oils them or worse, sprays WD40 into it!
Old 13th Sep 2011, 6:09 pm   #12
grundigsatelite
Retired Dormant Member

I think the problem could be the coil which keeps a constant oscillation. If that's not working properly it will lose time it can be heard kicking in at regular intervals .

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 13th Sep 2011 at 7:29 pm. Reason: Corrected typos.
Old 13th Sep 2011, 6:45 pm   #13
grundigsatelite
Retired Dormant Member

another common fault in time losing dont overlook the large hour hand if its been put back on too tight it could lose time there should be a brass nut which keeps the hour hand secure then the second sweep hand pushes in centre spindle........if nut is too tight on spindle it binds but clock will work and lose time. the spindle thread is very fine thread There is one on ebay at the moment with clock movement on view for those who wish to see the movement . ebay number 260851477970

Last edited by grundigsatelite; 13th Sep 2011 at 7:11 pm. Reason: forgot to include information
Old 13th Sep 2011, 9:48 pm   #14
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Thanks for the Ebay link. Thats the one, but my set is orange. Just had a look and it has now lost 30 minutes in 12hours. I will dismantel clock and have a look at the nut tomorow. John.
Old 13th Sep 2011, 10:42 pm   #15
grundigsatelite
Retired Dormant Member

Hi John, you need to upload a pic of the movement so that forum members can get a good detailed look at it. Two versions of movement for the Bush one with push on hands; no nut and the other is a nut type to hold the hands. I believe the clocks are Italian made and badged Rank badged? The orange version is very desirable and the white version tends to go brown-stained with time.
Old 13th Sep 2011, 11:30 pm   #16
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

I have trouble uploading photos. Short hand pushes on. The underneath of the minute hand it is holowed out to take the rectangular end of shaft top side of same hand is a round hole to take the threads and nut. The second hand pushes in. I will report back with movement maker, I think it was German make. John.
Old 14th Sep 2011, 4:04 pm   #17
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

I hope I am not speaking too soon but after slackening the nut on minute hand and not pressing the second hand in not so far It seems to be very near correct. Yesterday it losts 55 minutes in 24 hours! As for the maker it only says GERMANY and an USA PAT no. and 5 SEC/DAY near the time adjuster. John.
Old 14th Sep 2011, 9:25 pm   #18
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

The clock is running slightly slow with an Alkaline battery, I think I may try to adjust it tommorow. I recaped the radio and am running it with 2x 3R12, same as 1289 as I have a stock of these.
Old 14th Sep 2011, 9:49 pm   #19
grundigsatelite
Retired Dormant Member

john did you by any chance touch the last battery you fitted and did it feel hot? or depleted let me know if its drawing the life out the battery quickly do they read good voltage yet 2 days later poor voltage anyway john i think you have nearly got it going properly personally i would regulate it in 48 hours keep us posted

John, did you by any chance touch the last battery you fitted and did it feel hot or depleted? Let me know if it's drawing the life out the battery quickly. Do they read good voltage yet 2 days later poor voltage? Anyway John, I think you have nearly got it going properly. Personally I would regulate it in 48 hours. Keep us posted.

Last edited by grundigsatelite; 14th Sep 2011 at 10:01 pm.
Old 14th Sep 2011, 10:10 pm   #20
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

I think it OK power wise, not even slightly warm and the same battery as yesterday. I will put a meter on it tomorow. The battery has had a little use to get an average voltage for setting time. John.
Closed Thread