UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 17th May 2021, 3:09 pm   #1
MeanDumpsterCat
Pentode

Default Bush VHF54 - Shorted Trimmer (?)

Hi everyone. i'm currently working on a Bush VHF-54. It's all working with the exception of the FM section.

Work so far: replaced capacitors on the bottom tag board (c31 through to C57). Checked resistors in the FM sub chassis. Still a few caps to go but I dont believe in blanket replacing without fault finding first. I only done the one on the tag boards because they were easy to get at and I had plenty of spares.

The FM mode does nothing but hum and some faint noise comes in at the top end of the band. I swapped out the old EF80s with some known working ones just on the off chance, still no luck.

Annoyingly, some of the wires connecting the sub chassis to the main chassis broke as I was working on it, no matter how careful I was.

When poking around, I noticed that the trimmer on the side of the sub chassis was reading as a short circuit which I thought was a bit strange. I still need to disconnect it and re test to see if it's the trimmer itself, the IF can it's connected to or one of the surrounding components. But I did hear of other cases of this going short?

Is this something common with these sets and if it is indeed short, can it be easily rectified.

Test points shown below
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-05-17 15.08.33.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	234267  
Old 17th May 2021, 3:14 pm   #2
cathoderay57
Nonode

Default Re: Bush VHF54 - Shorted Trimmer (?)

Usually, the trimmer is wired in parallel with a coil therefore will read S/C in- circuit. Jerry
Old 17th May 2021, 5:10 pm   #3
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathoderay57 View Post
Usually, the trimmer is wired in parallel with a coil therefore will read S/C in- circuit. Jerry
Indeed it is L3.
You can make a note the trimmers position and turn it very slightly. I have heard of trimmers in Bush VHF units giving problems and a slight movement curing it, I don’t know it this trimmer is the same type as those.
Old 17th May 2021, 5:17 pm   #4
MeanDumpsterCat
Pentode

Okay, I feel stupid. I didnt realise it was in parallel with the coil even though it's plainly obvious on the diagram. Tested it out of circuit and it's fine.

I have, however, noticed that there's no heater voltage on any of the EF80s but with 250v going into the FM section. Barking totally up the wrong tree. Not sure how I didnt notice before.
Closed Thread