UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jun 2015, 11:55 am   #21
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Re: How good was the Philips 634A 'Ovaltiney'?

Quote:
unless you mean the radio that reproduces the 634A cabinet shape but doesn't attempt to copy the front panel decoration, so just has vertical slats over the 'speaker.
I have that particular set. I have dug it out to compare it with the original, as can be seen in the photo's, it is similar in cabinet shape and has copied the colour banding of the original.

The front is not even close though! It only cost me a couple of quid at a boot sale years ago, and works quite well for what it is.
But it is nice to finally have the original set.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1120637.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	109024   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1120638.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	109025   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1120639.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	109026  
Old 2nd Jun 2015, 11:29 pm   #22
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I have a 634A, which I've electrically restored and am waiting for me to get round to respraying the cabinet

I compared its performance with a pre-war superhet using the same aerial, and found the selectivity to be roughly comparable, quite remarkably good for a TRF. However the superhet managed to resolve weaker signals than the 634A could pick up. My tests weren't in any way scientific but for normal daily listening, the 634A gives a good account of itself.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 3rd Jun 2015, 9:54 am   #23
mark pirate
Dekatron

I intend to remove the chassis to determine what restoration has been done to my set later today. I will start a new thread in the appropriate section.

Mark
Closed Thread