UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jun 2012, 8:08 pm   #1
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default White Stylophone.

I have just bought an original Stylophone in white with silver writing. Were these common? I also have one in black and white (This is the small version with amplifier output).

John.
Old 1st Jun 2012, 8:51 pm   #2
AndiiT
Octode

Default Re: White Stylophone.

Hi,
I remember both the black and the White Stylophone, but think that the black ones were more common.

I also seem to recall that the tone on the white ones was slightly different to that of the black ones in order for some harmony effects if you owned one of each.
I know there was a variable pitch control but am referring to the pitch/tone in general when the control was set to the midway position.

It may have been that the White ones were tuned to the Bass clef whilst the Black ones were tuned to the Treble clef or something like that.

Regards
Andrew
Old 1st Jun 2012, 10:02 pm   #3
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Thank you Andrew, I will have to report back I have not had new one working yet as the battery lead is broken and I may not have time tomorow.

John.
Old 2nd Jun 2012, 1:27 am   #4
ianj
Heptode

They have been available new again for sale for the last few years, I've seen them for sale on Amazon etc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stylophone-O...8596921&sr=8-1
Old 2nd Jun 2012, 6:56 pm   #5
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

I have been aware for some time that Stylophones were being marketed again. I found out the hard way, I bought one at car boot sale as an original and on close examination found a MP3 socket on it! The amont of people selling these as originals is amazing, as is their expresions on their faces when I point the MP3 Socket.
John.
Old 2nd Jun 2012, 7:14 pm   #6
af024
Octode

Is the white one an octave down or something?
Old 2nd Jun 2012, 9:07 pm   #7
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

I hope to find out tommorow if it works.
John.
Old 2nd Jun 2012, 10:33 pm   #8
AndiiT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 oldjohn View Post
...I have been aware for some time that Stylophones were being marketed again....
I own both an original and a modern Stylophone; The modern one was a purchase a couple of years ago thinking that I would never see an original ever again and then a few months later, at Whitby car boot sale, I managed to procure an original for the princely sum of £3!.

I don't think that the modern copies have the variable pitch control fitted on the underside either. (I can't remember where my modern one is to check at the moment )

Andrew
Old 2nd Jun 2012, 10:39 pm   #9
Radio_Dave
Nonode

They were available in a wood grain effect as well. Originals models are easy to spot because the whole back panel has to be popped off to change the battery

David
Old 2nd Jun 2012, 11:49 pm   #10
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I've still got my original black/white Stylophone, bought for me as a birthday present while I was in my teens. I foolishly tried to sell it a number of times, but happily no-one wanted it, so it's still here and gets occasional use at Christmas etc and the grandchildren are fascinated by it.

Playing tip: the tuning control can be used to produce glissando effects. Hold down a single note and twist the tuning control.

Servicing tip: keep the 'keyboard' and stylus tip scrupulously clean using Brasso (formerly Duraglit) magic wadding.

Warning: the audio level from the output socket is very high, and has significant bass enhancement!

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts

Last edited by Phil G4SPZ; 2nd Jun 2012 at 11:50 pm. Reason: Omission corrected
Old 3rd Jun 2012, 2:15 pm   #11
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

The white one is an Octave higher, this one is later than the black one. The component count is some what lower in the white one (28) inc three transistors + two screws. Black one 51, including four transistors and two screws.

I managed to press the keyboard in on the MP3 version so I have just opened it up, not easy as these cases are glued together. After attacking it with screwdrivers and a lot of force it came apart and I should be able to glue it together without too much damage. The component count on these is seventeen screws, components forty including an IC and a few SMDs.

This later model sounds better than the two earlier players but this may be down to the old players needing new caps. It also has a three position swich to set the octaves.

John.
Old 3rd Jun 2012, 3:50 pm   #12
Andy - G8MNM
Hexode

Hi,

I have an original somewhere!
Bought it at a boot sale some years ago.
I originally came across them when at school 1969/70 in the music dept.
The music teacher had butchered them to only use head phones.
I asked if I could borrow one which I was allowed.
On getting it home I managed to fix the damaged speaker and used it for a while before returning it in 'Working' condition.
I don't remember if it had its speaker disconnected again.

Andy

https://www.lushanda.com/
Old 3rd Jun 2012, 7:44 pm   #13
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Here's a picture of a white Stylophone I bought at a boot sale and chucked in a cupboard a while back.

It is in its box and has the booklet but sadly the record is long gone. Also sadly my spell checker didn't know what a Stylophone is - but I taught it.

Inside the booklet is the circuit diagram with component layout.

Ps Phil. I'd question the wisdom of using Brasso or Duraglit on the pads which I can't see being plated all that thickly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stylophone1.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	67245   Click image for larger version

Name:	stylophone2.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	67246  
Old 3rd Jun 2012, 8:42 pm   #14
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
I'd question the wisdom of using Brasso or Duraglit on the pads which I can't see being plated all that thickly.
Certainly I would not advocate using liquid Brasso, Dave, but the 'magic wadding' form that I mentioned is pretty gentle and very effective whilst being minimally abrasive. I must have used it dozens of times on my Stylophone with no detrimental effects whatsoever, although mine is an original and the key pads look very well plated. I'm sure there are alternatives, such as contact cleaner or IPA, but as it's the stylus tip (which appears to be unplated brass on my model) that's the most crucial to be kept clean to avoid crackling during playing, magic wadding is the most efficacious product I have found.

Old 3rd Jun 2012, 11:14 pm   #15
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

I did use Brasso, I had to do some thing and the difference it made was amazing. I also had the chance to buy the full size Stylophone but they wanted £65.
John.
Old 7th Jun 2012, 8:19 pm   #16
G0SNB JOHN
Triode

Original records on Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juD3nWpUunU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2oMd...feature=relmfu

John B
Old 7th Jun 2012, 10:18 pm   #17
Aub
Nonode

I wonder if David Bowie still has his?
Old 12th Jun 2012, 10:35 pm   #18
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I still have mine from the early 70s, 72 or 73 I think, still in its box. I drew on Rolfs face though
I also still have a card booklet of a few demo records.
Old 21st Jun 2012, 10:05 pm   #19
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Someone commented earlier about the luscious smell that came from the inside of a Stylophone, but the comment seems to have been edited since I saw the e-mail alert - I therefore hope that this comment won't be considered off-topic.

That lovely smell comes from zinc chloride flux. I've come across it inside several 1960s transistor radios.

I will start a new thread about zinc chloride flux, as it's not particularly appropriate for this thread. Keep the Stylophones playing! Perhaps at the next NVCF a few of us could get together, form a little Stylophone band, entertain the visitors and dodge the thrown tomatoes

Closed Thread