UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Feb 2021, 11:41 am   #1
flynnd20
Diode

Default Modulator/converter for Keracolour

Hi, I am looking for advice on connecting our satellite TV set top box to our old TV. It's a Keracolour TV that we bought some years ago. The TV inside is not original. When we bought it, it had been retro-fitted with a more 'modern' TV and has a SCART and RF connectors only

The set top box has an HDMI connector only. Is there a modulator that anyone can recommend to convert the signal from digital to analogue? Is there a HDMI to SCART modulator or a HDMI to RF modulator that would work?

I've found some devices on eBay but wanted advice before I went ahead and bought anything.

Thanks for any help that you can give!!
Old 18th Feb 2021, 1:12 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Modulator/converter for Keracolour

What you need is not a modulator but an HDMI to analogue video adaptor whose ouptut can be fed into the SCART socket of the set. Here is one example of many available for under £10.

edit: you may also need to acquire suitable cables in addition.
Old 18th Feb 2021, 1:17 pm   #3
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

If it's just a set top box without a recorder then the simplest option would be to get a second hand set top box and feed it in via SCART.
However if you do want to use your box you have then there are numerous converters available from the usual sources. Just make sure you get it the right way round - i.e. HDMI to AV. Then use a SCART adaptor. I see one 'HDMI to 3 RCA composite' adaptor on eBay for just over a fiver which is USB powered and would do the job nicely.

Post crossed with Dave's.
Old 18th Feb 2021, 2:29 pm   #4
flynnd20
Diode

Thank you both for your responses. It tried a HDMI to SCART converter, similar to the one linked in Dave's post, and it didn't work. Mmm....a bit stumped what to do next!
Old 18th Feb 2021, 2:40 pm   #5
paulsherwin

Can you clarify "didn't work"?
Old 18th Feb 2021, 2:53 pm   #6
flynnd20
Diode

Apologies, to clarify, when I used an HDMI to SCART converter, the picture did not display on the TV. This is one I purchased.

The box is a Sky Q mini box. Perhaps the converter I used is not compatible. Do I need an MHL/HDMI to SCART converter versus an HDMI to SCART? Is there a difference in the signals?

Thank you for your help!
Old 18th Feb 2021, 4:45 pm   #7
paulsherwin

That should work.

Did you select the Scart input on the TV? Was there any change in the screen at all?
Old 18th Feb 2021, 5:06 pm   #8
flynnd20
Diode

Thank you. Yes, I have selected the Scart input. I think my next step will be to find another Scart device and test it on the TV to rule out an issue with the Scart cabling.
Old 18th Feb 2021, 5:22 pm   #9
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnd20 View Post
Do I need an MHL/HDMI to SCART converter versus an HDMI to SCART? Is there a difference in the signals?
Actually, I notice that images 2 and 3 on the Amazon page do say "MHL/HDMI", so I suspect this is the identical item to the one I highlighted.

As to the significance of "MHL" (if any), this is beyond my limited knowledge in this area.
Old 18th Feb 2021, 5:28 pm   #10
paulsherwin

Quote:
Thank you. Yes, I have selected the Scart input. I think my next step will be to find another Scart device and test it on the TV to rule out an issue with the Scart cabling.
Also, try a different HDMI device such as a Blu-ray player.

It's possible that the TV requires setting to use composite video rather than RGB.
Old 18th Feb 2021, 5:30 pm   #11
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Yes, checking that a SCART signal is being picked up (using the same SCART-SCART cable) from another device is a good idea, thus proving whether the signal is being lost after the converter.

Another thought: is it possible that you have a SCART lead that only has the connections for sending a signal in one direction? If so, try connecting it the other way round - i.e. swapping the plugs between the set and the converter.
Old 19th Feb 2021, 12:12 pm   #12
Brigham
Octode

Is the TV otherwise known to work?
Old 20th Feb 2021, 8:44 am   #13
patrickgnl
Pentode

Quote:
Apologies, to clarify, when I used an HDMI to SCART converter, the picture did not display on the TV. This is one I purchased.

The box is a Sky Q mini box. Perhaps the converter I used is not compatible. Do I need an MHL/HDMI to SCART converter versus an HDMI to SCART? Is there a difference in the signals?

Thank you for your help!
Something easily forgotten is to make sure that the output of the HDMI device is set to 576i in the menu, the converter may not convert the picture format, just pass it through. Although looking at the device you purchased it is supposed to convert the various formats. Worth a shot though.

Patrick
Closed Thread