UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Old 17th Jun 2024, 11:22 am   #1
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Cutting a Crystal for a radio.

Cutting a Crystal is a lot more complex than first appears, I found it an interesting watch, hope you do.

John.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duZlWWwxIPQ
Old 17th Jun 2024, 3:40 pm   #2
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Cutting a Crystal for a radio.

Thanks John.

A really well made film, and in colour too.

Remarkable how many labour-intensive processes were involved in collecting and grading the quartz, then cutting, etching and testing the crystals, then at the end, subjecting them to ruggedness tests. Not even a nod to Health & Safety - lots of X-Rays, no PPE when using acid, dipping hands in oil etc.

The female operatives were smartly dressed, well groomed, with immaculate nails. I guess they were told in advance 'you're going to be filmed, so you might want to look your best'. (No sign of 'Rosie the Riveter'!)
David G4EBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2024, 6:27 pm   #3
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Yes, considering how laborious that is, and considering the huge number of xtals made in war, you can only assume there were a great many such facilities all working 24/7 !

B
Old 17th Jun 2024, 8:07 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

What a fascinating movie!! It shows just how much manual labour went into doing stuff back then, which got automated as soon as the technology to do so arrived.

Thinking about the production of crystals during WWII, one thing I have always pondered is how they coordinated the assignment of frequencies across the Army, Air Force, Navy and other services like RADAR and point to point communication circuits, then what happened when the USA and Canada arrived en masse for D-Day??

It would be a bit embarrassing if your radios were crystalled up on a frequency already occupied by another service, or one that the Germans were using.

These days you could easily do the job with an Oracle database, which could also easily do things like advising you what other services might be using image frequencies of what you are planning to use, but back then I can only imagine vast card indexes and Hollerith tabulators and the like.