UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Feb 2018, 11:19 am   #21
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Special Auction 11th Feb '18

2/ Who says I get away with it It was our 37th wedding anniversary yesterday and it seems the secret of a long and happy marriage is to live appart for most of the time

Around 200 or so of the sets are in my weekday residence in Poole.

I do have a plan to reduce the numbers by around 250 or so in the next 5 years by passing on duplicates and having a strict cut-off date probably 1960 I have reduced the numbers by 50 in the last couple of years only to replace them with a similar number DOH!

Unfortunately it seems I won't be able to attend however I hope everyone has a great time and fill their boots

Cheers

Mike T
Old 8th Feb 2018, 12:48 pm   #22
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Updated catalogue attached and on the BVWS website. Info from Mike:

Quote:
I have been notified of an error in the catalogue listing.

It was a picture of an EKCO AC97 with no lot number and did not appear in the catalogue listing

I duplicated the description of another lot, so now the Ekco does appear at lot 208.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf UPDATED RWB Auction Catalogue 11 Feb 2018.pdf (361.3 KB, 226 views)

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 8th Feb 2018, 2:16 pm   #23
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater Sam View Post
Ah, I won't have the number from the winter issue! Is there a way around this please?
Hi I also don't seem to be able to locate my membership number if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.
Old 8th Feb 2018, 5:46 pm   #24
audiomagpie
Heptode

Hi Simon

Let me have your full name and postcode by private message and I'll message you back with your membership number later on this evening.

BVWS committee chairman
Old 8th Feb 2018, 8:53 pm   #25
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Another way of locating your membership number if you have bought at auction before and kept your invoices is to look at the bottom of an invoice.
Old 9th Feb 2018, 1:24 pm   #26
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Thanks Greg and Dave. I did a bit of digging last night and found my membership number and have now renewed my memebership.
I hope to be there on Sunday.
Old 9th Feb 2018, 2:31 pm   #27
Paul Stenning
Administrator

If anyone can't renew online for any reason, you can do so on the day. Please try to arrive early (doors open at 9am) and renew straight away, just to avoid holding up people collecting bidding cards closer to the auction start time (10:30am).

Paul Stenning
Old 11th Feb 2018, 9:33 pm   #28
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: Special Auction 11th Feb '18

It was a good day, I came back with a couple of nice items including a Murphy 405 line television and a Bush VHF41 which is of interest to me as one of the first VHF sets to be produced.

I was surprised that the RGD Model 930 console receiver at the end of the auction did not sell. It looked a really nice set and would have sounded good with P-P triode output. I was very tempted and would have defiantly bid on it myself although by then I would not have had the space in the car for it to fit . I wander if it is still available as I could easily find some space for it here!!.

Christopher Capener
Old 11th Feb 2018, 10:02 pm   #29
audiomagpie
Heptode

The RGD console didn't make reserve at auction, however someone had second thoughts afterwards and bought it, so it has found a new home...

BVWS committee chairman
Old 11th Feb 2018, 10:03 pm   #30
thermionic
Heptode

Christopher, I agree, an excellent auction, as always. As I drove out of the car park, I saw you struggling with a radio, it must have been heavy, and I felt a little guilty for not offering to help you!

The only slightly annoying thing today, was the actions of a rude man who was determined to repeatedly push his way through people lining up, patiently waiting to pay, in order to gather up his many boxes of valves. Manners cost nothing and require little effort. I understand that, allegedly, he is not even a BVWS member, and uses a friends membership to allow him to bid.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed the day. Unfortunately, the Pye D16 Tv went for a lot more than my piggy bank could afford��
Old 11th Feb 2018, 10:18 pm   #31
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Oh well... At least I don't now need to find a reason to tell SWMBO on why it turned up!!

I was interested in the D16T as well though it went higher than I could really justify. The cabinet was excellent though.

I am already looking at the peculiar EMI scope thing with voltmeter on the front bought for £5 on the BVWS stall. Remarkably dirty

I too was forced out of the way by the said valve man with the 17" Murphy telly through the entrance hall. I noticed he parked hic car right by the entrance as well. Its a pity that this rotten apple attends all the BVWS and Radiophile auctions and hoovers all the valves up!!

Christopher Capener
Old 11th Feb 2018, 10:41 pm   #32
Cobaltblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_vacuum_house View Post
I am already looking at the peculiar EMI scope thing with voltmeter on the front bought for £5 on the BVWS stall. Remarkably dirty
Its probably one of these:

http://www.thevalvepage.com/testeq/e...e/emiscope.htm

There were a few versions but look similar .

Cheers

Mike T
Old 12th Feb 2018, 12:17 am   #33
Trifocaltrev
Hexode

Yes indeed, it was a very good auction, I was especially pleased with the GED BC5045L Export Set that managed to get.

As an aside, the gentleman with the valves is a BVWS member.

Once again many that to Mike, Greg and the rest of the team for making it such an enjoyable day.

Trevor.
Old 12th Feb 2018, 2:16 am   #34
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Indeed it was a good day and I spent far too much! I came away with an early Sony colour set, a few Roberts sets plus some other transistor sets!

Cheers
Old 12th Feb 2018, 7:25 pm   #35
slidertogrid
Octode

I had a great day and would like to thank everyone who helped organise the event.
I came away with a few bargains which I am pleased with. it's a fair old run from Peterborough not helped by the fact that the powers that be had shut the A604 Oundle road between Peterborough and Thrapston which means we had to go down the A1 through more road works and a 40mph speed limit for miles..
why they decide to do major works on all routes at the same time I really can't understand. I think we should be able to claim a partial refund on the road tax when they cause delays like this.. But then again mine is only £30 a year..
I was also annoyed by the selfish person who parked right in the middle of the entrance road where the line of cones were and then opened the doors on his car just to make it really difficult for everyone else to get past.
Judging by the comments I heard I was not the only person who was inconvenienced by him.
I'm not sure it was the same person who bought all the valves though.
I am not going to comment further on him...
It's the usual story. while most members are really nice people there are always a few that are bad apples.
I am looking forward to sorting through the stuff I bought it should keep me out of mischief for a while.

Rich.
Old 13th Feb 2018, 3:48 pm   #36
Herald1360
Dekatron

I had an interesting day and came away with more than I intended. Really chuffed with the Marconi 264A ( https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/marconi_264.html ) that I got from the side stall- I've wanted one just for its looks and this one's a cracker- much better than the RM one pictured. A similarly styled extension speaker in the auction also found its way home with me.

A box of assorted trannies was actually four ITT models including a very interesting Schaub Lorenz "Touring International" one with a sound easily up there with a good Hacker! The newest one (a Polo S "IC Technic") didn't work but hey....

The early Invicta "crossover" set (attache case transistor portable) also snuck into my pile- I've got a similar slightly later Marconi one to keep it company.

I took pity on the (not that) 'orrible Bush repro min tombstone. The case is a quite solid mix of MDF, chipboard, hardboard and even some wood (in the glued blocks for support). With a better loudspeaker than the crappy 3" one fitted and some attention to a crackly pot it'll do nicely as a shed/kitchen/garage sort of set.

Only downer was the plonker in the cut-price Chelsea Tractor that he couldn't manoeuvre properly who blocked the drive for everyone carrying stuff out whilst trying to get it down to the door. I suspect he was the same character mentioned above!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 10:21 am   #37
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Auction results are now online here:
https://www.bvws.org.uk/auctions/res...ootton-bassett

Paul Stenning
Old 24th Feb 2018, 10:26 am   #38
ajs37
Heptode

Thanks Paul - I was unable to attend as my wife was very ill the night before. It's interesting and surprising to see how much some of the round (and the large) Ekcos made - maybe pictures don't always tell the story!
Cheers
Andy
Closed Thread