UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Feb 2020, 7:27 pm   #1
M6RDPfly
Triode

Default Signal Communications Corp R535 scanner

Hello I wonder if I can ask the forum a question about a Signal Communications Corp r535 scanner.....

When it is scanning I can hear what I think must be processor noise coming through the speaker or headphones. I took it to a repair shop but could not replicate the problem because as soon as he connected it to a speaker the noise disappeared.
When the speaker was unplugged still there was no noise. When I got home a similar thing would happen and sometimes noise would disappear after plugging the headphones in and out but eventually it always comes back. I'm familiar with RF noise and I'm almost certain it is the processor clicking away during scanning and searching.

Any help or suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated no matter how obscure they may seem!

Thank you. Adam
Old 22nd Feb 2020, 9:25 pm   #2
g4aaw pete
Heptode

Default Re: Signal Communications Corp R535 scanner

Hello Adam

I see from the schematic, the speaker & headphone socket both go to pins 9 & 10 on the CPU pwb.

Wonder if it’s just earth return connector or phones change-over leaf switch dodgy. Perhaps a squirt of switch cleaner into the phones socket?
Old 22nd Feb 2020, 10:25 pm   #3
M6RDPfly
Triode

Pete, thanks for the excellent suggestion. I have some contact cleaner in the shack so I will try it and keep the radio tipped up to allow it to drip down.

Would be great to get it fixed as the clicking in a quiet Jack is very irritating!

I will be sure to report back. Great if it was something so simple. 73 Adam
Old 23rd Feb 2020, 3:53 pm   #4
M6RDPfly
Triode

Pete,

I've tried a couple of different radio repair shops for my 1980s airband gear and neither have been exceptionally useful.

I don't suppose you could recommend anywhere if I can't get the 535 clicking under control as I also have a Swinburne Electronics CR600 which needs a bit of attention. I've already paid to have someone look at it but it is still only semi operational!
I've put contact cleaner in the socket and also on the socket connections inside the radio but can't get the clicking to disappear at all today.

73 Thanks Adam
Old 24th Feb 2020, 2:24 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Also worth checking that the earth-lead between the antenna socket and the internal circuit-boards is OK.

I had an old AR1000 handheld scanner which started to hear its own internally-generated spurii and burblies even when using an external antenna. Turned out that the BNC antenna socket had poor connection between the outer barrel and the radio's internal PCB. A quick 'rework' - cleaning up/tightening the clamp nut and resoldering the tag - solved the problem.
Old 25th Feb 2020, 11:43 am   #6
M6RDPfly
Triode

Hi G6Tanuki

Thanks for the input. There is a little switch on the back of the 535 for selecting the front or rear antenna socket and that has been a bit temperamental so I've given that at a squirt of contact cleaner and checked out out and done the same thing with the antenna connections, but this morning the wretched clicking is still there are so I am going to try and get my hands on a little 12-volt battery and take it it to a quiet location as I'm puzzled why in the radio repair shop the noise was completely absent.
Old 9th Mar 2020, 10:18 am   #7
M6RDPfly
Triode

Hi, I gave up on looking for a 12-volt battery and connected up 8AAs. Took the radio to a quiet location but the pesky noise was still there clicking away in time with either the scan speed or the slightly faster search speed.
I don't suppose anyone knows of a uk-based repair are person?

Cheers Adam
Old 10th Mar 2020, 8:15 am   #8
M0AFJ, Tim
Hexode

Look up The Shack, he’s not too far from you across the Tamar near Plymouth in Gunnislake, very competent guy
Old 10th Mar 2020, 5:37 pm   #9
M6RDPfly
Triode

Thanks Tim. Since starting this thread I have been lucky enough come across James and The Shack in a Google search and he is kindly helping me with both radios now.

He seems excellent: an enthusiast, pro, and helpful too.
Closed Thread