UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Feb 2020, 2:50 am   #1
K.C.pye1958
Pentode

Default Cartridge and stylus questions

Hi,
I have a hacker gondalier record player with a 2025tc deck and need to replace a stylus for it but i am not sure as the cartridge is very slim and i can't read the number i know it's not a 93-1 cartridge so i posted a pic to help identify,please advise on stylus replacement and cartridge type please
also i have a spinney srp 12 stereo and this one has a 93-1 cartridge but i wonder if that is the original as i once had a hmv 2030 with this same deck so i would like to know if i was to replace the cartridge what would be the likely original one , eg. would it be an scm 11 cartridge?
pics postes all advice welcome
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1653.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	199488   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1654.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	199489   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1655.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	199490   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1656.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	199491   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1657.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	199492  

Old 22nd Feb 2020, 3:37 am   #2
teetoon
Heptode

Default Re: Cartridge and stylus questions

Hi K C. The cartridge in pics 4 and 5 is an Acos GP 104. Very good sounding cartridge if the rubber is still in good condition.

David.
Old 22nd Feb 2020, 9:06 am   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The cartridge more usually fitted to the Garrard 2025TC in a Hacker "Gondolier" is a Acos GP96-1. If the cartridge fitted to the BSR deck in the Spinney is an Acos GP93, then it is liable to be the original. These are no longer avaialable. If it really has failed, a BSR SC11 or SC12 will be needed.
Old 22nd Feb 2020, 2:40 pm   #4
K.C.pye1958
Pentode

Thanks Edward and teeton for your advice, i was thinking that the spinney cartridge was not the original as it seems bulky and i noticed that there is practically no space between the cartridge and the surface of the vinyl when playing giving a shadow/ghost sound from the grooves at times , possibly caused by the metal clip at the rear even though the cartridge is well secured in that clip.i'm wondering is there any remedy to this?
thanks to your advice i can replace a stylus for the hacker now
Old 22nd Feb 2020, 3:40 pm   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

You can put a small packing spacer at the front of the cartridge body under tone arm headshell. There should be 15 degree negative rake on these when viewed from the side.
Old 22nd Feb 2020, 9:11 pm   #6
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.C.pye1958 View Post
there is practically no space between the cartridge and the surface of the vinyl when playing giving a shadow/ghost sound from the grooves at times
It sounds like the rubber part has collapsed, as has been mentioned in post #2.

You could try altering/correcting the angle as suggested by Edward, but it's probably had it and needs a replacement cartridge fitting - close examination of the cartridge itself should confirm.

Edit: It's also possible that the tracking weight is far too heavy - have you measured it with a proper stylus balance?
Old 22nd Feb 2020, 10:42 pm   #7
BRASSBITS
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.C.pye1958 View Post
Thanks Edward and teeton for your advice, i was thinking that the spinney cartridge was not the original as it seems bulky and i noticed that there is practically no space between the cartridge and the surface of the vinyl when playing giving a shadow/ghost sound from the grooves at times , possibly caused by the metal clip at the rear even though the cartridge is well secured in that clip.i'm wondering is there any remedy to this?
thanks to your advice i can replace a stylus for the hacker now
are you sure the stylus is seated in the v block
Closed Thread