UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Feb 2020, 10:03 pm   #1
Nukeybrown
Heptode

Default Old transformers from valve radio

Somehow ive ended up hoarding a box of working valve radio transformers. All pulled from working sets that have passed through my hands. Some I've even labeled up with which set they came from. Now the question is what do I do with them all. The box they are in is now not liftable by one person due to weight.

Any suggestions welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B57ACA0C-358B-42F6-8614-305AAA5E4E7B.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	198583  
Old 7th Feb 2020, 10:13 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Old transformers from valve radio

Hi Nukey, try listing them at £5-£10 each plus postage in the sales section.
Ideal for spares if identified, but if not heavily impregnated then they could be stripped and rewound for anyone who wants to try transformer winding

Ed
Old 7th Feb 2020, 10:16 pm   #3
Nukeybrown
Heptode

Might take me a while to list that many ed lol but good idea. I think theres many that would be useful like bush, grundig philips etc , if i remember correctly i also kept the output transformers with the main power transformers in the same bag
Old 7th Feb 2020, 10:22 pm   #4
TowerRadio
Hexode

You can either sell them on eBay or in Parts for Sale here. When my father died I took such a box to the tip,likewise 25 kilo or thereabouts of good radio/tv speakers (this was before eBay was invented).I subsequently found I had dumped quite valuable transformers.Les
Old 7th Feb 2020, 10:32 pm   #5
Nukeybrown
Heptode

Lol i know what you mean les. This also half my problem as i could be selling a transformer for £5 thats worth £50. And by the way , i have another 2 boxes of speakers which again i have to do something with
Old 8th Feb 2020, 6:57 am   #6
Electronpusher0
Nonode

If you have an output transformer for a Pye black box I would happily buy it, my Black Box has had its output txmer replaced by an RS one and I would like to restore the correct one.
Its the Ultralinear version by the way.

Peter
Old 8th Feb 2020, 9:32 am   #7
FIXITNOW
Octode

once you have a list the folks here should be able to tell if any are special and worth more than a few pound I guess most off us have a collection like this
Old 8th Feb 2020, 1:46 pm   #8
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Old transformers from valve radio

First thing I would do would be to divide them into two piles: mains transformers and output & inter-stage coupling transformers. For the mains transformers, (if from where the transformer came from is not known), I would then separate them into auto-transformers and fully isolating types. Doing that should not be very arduous nor time-consuming. However, what will be time-consuming will be measuring the output voltage (and, ideally, the current capability) of every winding on each transformer.
The bottom line is this: you may well have transformers that are just what people need or want, but the knowing their basic spec. is essential. Only you can decide if the effort in doing the above is worth the potential returns.

Al.
Old 8th Feb 2020, 2:01 pm   #9
DonaldStott
Octode

I'd be interested in acquiring some mains and output transformers - I have a notion (!) at some point in the future to build a Mullard valve amplifier??

Of course I'd need advice and guidance from Ed Dinning?
Old 9th Feb 2020, 6:37 am   #10
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Donald, no problems feel free to mail/PM me for any information required.

Ed
Closed Thread