UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 16th May 2020, 9:54 am   #41
raditechman
Heptode

Default Re: RSGB temporarily allows remote Foundation exams, waives practical assessments

I hope the candidates have success in getting through the online exam.
With regard to call signs I just entered mine in a Google search and was surprised how many results came up.

John
Old 16th May 2020, 11:38 am   #42
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: RSGB temporarily allows remote Foundation exams, waives practical assessments

Because my name is the same as that of a top level golfer (US masters winner and Ryder cup boss) I'm pretty much ungoogleable. You'll drown in hundreds of thousands of hits, seemingly all golf, which seems like a fate worse than death. If you dig deeper you come across an author of a latin book and a car sales in cheshire. I've never found me. You can only find me by callsign or patent numbers.

Does having a callsign with a linked address make you more liable to burglary? Probably not. They're after valuables lying around. Watches, jewels, small antiques at the upper end of the burglary profession. Or it's a quick snatch for some technology to sell for a drugs fix and that means a break-in anywhere. Only a serious burglar would go to the trouble of going through a callbook, and they'd know what we have wouldn't fetch their kind of money. We're not worth their while, not unless we are in the Rolex lifestyle.

Go out for a cruise round town in the lambo or the aston and you could get someone following to see where you live, for future reference. That'll get you noticed.

David
Old 16th May 2020, 3:02 pm   #43
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Because my name is the same as that of a top level golfer (US masters winner and Ryder cup boss) I'm pretty much ungoogleable. You'll drown in hundreds of thousands of hits, seemingly all golf, which seems like a fate worse than death.
The name came up in a Google search I did PDQ, it wasn't a top level golfer that fiddles with electronics either.

Lawrence.
Old 17th May 2020, 1:40 pm   #44
Sinewave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Go out for a cruise round town in the lambo or the aston and you could get someone following to see where you live, for future reference. That'll get you noticed.

David
Indeed, this is why I leave mine at home when I go to Aldi