UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jun 2017, 5:22 pm   #1
Sparky67
Heptode

Default Carrying Bag Equipment Type?

I came across a couple of these bags when sorting through some stuff the other day. Thought they might be for the Clansman PRC344, but mine doesn't fit correctly. I can't see any stores or other part numbers on them. Does anyone know what they were used with please?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3099.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	144956   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3100.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	144957  
Old 28th Jun 2017, 9:22 am   #2
Arqiva BOC
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Carrying Bag Equipment Type?

I'm intrigued by this, but don't recognise it myself. Doesn't seem to be Clansman, might not even be British!

I've cross posted the picture to a British Army forum, hopefully someone on there will know what it is and let us know

My thought was that it should hold an ECM unit, or NBRC detector
Old 28th Jun 2017, 5:46 pm   #3
Arqiva BOC
Retired Dormant Member

Is there some sort of padded dividers inside?
Are you able to get a few measurements?

No positive ID as yet, but lots of suggestions! Being from squaddies, these are mostly quite bizarre!
Old 28th Jun 2017, 5:52 pm   #4

With a little guessing and no dimensions, looks like "Carrier, Bottles, Beer, 330ml capacity, Four. A welcome adjunct to "Five minutes rest".
Back on topic, radio is my thought with those holes for knobs and wires.

Old 28th Jun 2017, 6:31 pm   #5
ex seismic
Heptode

The green anodised belt buckles are from 58 pattern webbing so that puts it into the end of Larkspur/start of Clansman sort of time frame. But it isn't a 58 belt. Could it be a locally made one-off?

Gordon
Old 29th Jun 2017, 3:10 pm   #6
Stockden
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex seismic View Post
The green anodised belt buckles are from 58 pattern webbing so that puts it into the end of Larkspur/start of Clansman sort of time frame.
Unfortunately the buckle doesn't really help with dating because that sort continues to be in use up to the present day (for instance on the "working dress" belt, which dates from the late 90's).

Hugh
Old 29th Jun 2017, 4:05 pm   #7
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky67 View Post
I came across a couple of these bags when sorting through some stuff the other day. Thought they might be for the Clansman PRC344, but mine doesn't fit correctly. I can't see any stores or other part numbers on them. Does anyone know what they were used with please?
I'm no webbing expert but the bag looks a lot like the one I had on a Racal TRA967 some years ago, when a batch of brand-new sets came on the market. Unfortunately, I sold the set a while ago, so can't check.

Roger
Old 1st Jul 2017, 9:10 pm   #8
Sparky67
Heptode

Apologies for the delay replying - been away.

The bag measures (internally) approx 22cm x 7.5cm at the top x 28.5cm deep. What isn't shown in the photos are 3 eyelet holes in the bottom, and the top 9cm of the front and back faces are reinforced internally. Hope this helps tie it down...

Martin
G4NCE
Closed Thread