UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jun 2017, 3:06 pm   #1
Focus Diode
Octode

Default GEC 2015 13" Crystal model

With the interest in the GEC 2000 series of large screen sets gaining a revival of interest perhaps it's worth recalling the 13" portable "Crystal" version.

These models were introduced during 1966 and have remarkably compact dimensions, approx the size of a LP record and weigh only 20lb (9kg). Despite this they are closely related to the 2000 series of large screen models, the only main differences being a PL81 line output valve and separate 405/625 switch.

I was very fortunate to be given an example in 2014. The set worked but suffered from the usual severe bottom cramping problems. The 13" 13BP4 CRT was revealed to be in excellent condition.

The timebase panel lies vertically on the right on viewing from the back with excellent accesability. Replacing the usual components cured the non linearity.

The set in question was never fitted with a UHF tuner yet is otherwise fully dual standard.

Allowing the set to otherwise function as a dual standard I moved the flylead from PC8 to PC13 as advised in the manual. This brings the VHF tuner into operation on 625-lines. It would've made a superb set for DXTV.

On obtaining a VHF/UHF modulator this allowed the set to work on 625-lines for probably the first time in its life! Not unexpectedly the line hold was found to be miles out of the range of the user 625-line hold control. Careful adjustment of the line oscillator coil sorted that out, giving instant lock on both systems.

The set works well but suffers from distorted sound on 625 with no sound on 405. The audio output stage clearly functions well.

I hope to soon get back to this remarkable set. As can be seen from the photo the contrast control has also broken off. Any more examples out there?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front view.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	144639   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEC 2015 side view.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	144640   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear cabinet back 1.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	144641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear cabinet back 2.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	144642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior view with LOPT screening cover removed.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	144643  

Old 17th Jun 2017, 3:14 pm   #2
Focus Diode
Octode

Default Re: GEC 2015 13" Crystal model

Some off screen photos.
Oh, I forgot. Some wasp like hum occurs after running for sometime. Probably need to replace the multicap.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	On picture 2.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	144645   Click image for larger version

Name:	Timebase panel.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	144646   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEC 2015 on 625-lines.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	144647   Click image for larger version

Name:	on 405-lines.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	144648   Click image for larger version

Name:	underside view.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	144649  

Old 17th Jun 2017, 3:32 pm   #3
MonochromeMarc
Pentode

That little Crystal doesn't look bad Brian, I've got one tucked away that needs sorting....maybe later this summer we shall see.

Marc.
Old 17th Jun 2017, 4:13 pm   #4
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I serviced many of these. Excellent receiver, just a folded up 2000 somewhat like the KB 'Featherlight' is a folded up VC4.

Note the cut away ventilation holes [get the Stanley knife out] at the top of the back. This was an official GEC modification to prevent overheating.

That PL81 was an incredible valve if operated correctly. It started life as one of the first 'World Series' television valves in 1950 scanning 57 degree tubes at 6kv. It failed mostly in the 1950's due to the use of a stupid carbon screen dropping resistor typically 2.2k that reduced in value severely over running the valve. a wire wound replacement cured all the call backs.
It continued to give excellent service scanning 21" 110 degree tubes at 16kv and was brought back yet again for the mid 60's dual standard portables. John.
Old 17th Jun 2017, 5:18 pm   #5
Focus Diode
Octode

Indeed. The PL81A was introduced especially for portable sets. To the best of my knowledge the hybrid Thorn 1580 series of portables was the last chassis to use one. Significant also this was a 625-line only set.

Ran the set up a few minutes ago. There is sound on 405 after all but horribly distorted. I'll look at the usual suspects but have a feeling the speaker itself could be responsible.

Cheers
Brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Edited_ImageEasyImageEditor_20170617_394.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	144675  
Old 17th Jun 2017, 6:58 pm   #6
beltinge bore
Pentode

Hello All I have a very nice one of these passed on to me by the widow of a lovely old bloke who kept it after retiring from the "trade". It is fully dual standard and in lovely condition.

Sadly the tube (13 BP4) sustained a whack during a house move of hers and is down to air.

I have been searching for a replacement for ages with no luck! Both timebases are OK with good sound after very little work. Lovely little sets IMHO.

Regards Steve.
Old 17th Jun 2017, 10:37 pm   #7
1100 man
Octode

That's a lot of stuff crammed in a very small space!! An interesting little set.
I was always amazed to see the tiny PL81 in my Marconiphone VT161 rather then a PL36 which would have been more conventional for the era of set.
Who was the maker of the CRT- it's a strange number? Was it GEC themselves as they had valves with strange numbers?
I don't like GEC's mod of enlarging the ventilation holes above the mains dropper!! Too easy for small boys to poke things in
Cheers Nick
Old 17th Jun 2017, 11:17 pm   #8
FERNSEH
Dekatron

It's an imported CRT, possibly from the USA.

DFWB.
Old 18th Jun 2017, 9:19 am   #9
Focus Diode
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by beltinge bore View Post
Sadly the tube (13 BP4) sustained a whack during a house move of hers and is down to air.

I have been searching for a replacement for ages with no luck!.
Very frustrating! I think David's right, the 13BP4 sounds American. The lack of metric on the numbering system is another clue.

I understand there was a US model similar in appearance to the 2015, down to the T shaped carrying handle. Presumably this would have the same or similar CRT? May be worth a try contacting a US forum as they'd be a better chance of obtaining one from there. Won't be cheap with transportation costs etc. I hasten to add!

Brian
Old 18th Jun 2017, 10:48 am   #10
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi Brian,
I'm of the opinion that even the cabinet was imported from America.
The reasoning for this belief is that GEC could not have made sufficient Crystal 13 sets to recoup the costs of making a special cabinet for the set in the UK.

DFWB.
Old 18th Jun 2017, 3:20 pm   #11
Reelman
Octode

Does anyone know if GEC made radios or TVs in Coventry?
Back in the 70s the Midland Bank had a sub-office at the "GEC Telephone Works" in Stoke, Coventry. I often worked there and Thursdays and Fridays were busier than branches four times the size. In fact for a sub-office the number of staff (at least 9) was unusually large. The "Go Easy Club" as my colleague called it had a great and cheap canteen and a staff shop that we could also use. In those days there were many GEC branded products that could be bought at a discount there. At the time there were several GEC sites in Coventry so I always wondered what they made there besides 'phones.
Anyone know?
Thanks,

If someone wants to give a potted history then a new thread would be better.

Peter.

Last edited by Reelman; 18th Jun 2017 at 3:29 pm. Reason: Conscience
Old 18th Jun 2017, 3:40 pm   #12
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Yes, until the merger with Radio & Allied Industries Ltd (Sobell) in 1962, GEC made their TVs and radios in Coventry. However, fairly soon after the merger, production was concentrated in the R&AIL factory in Hirwaun, South Wales.
Old 18th Jun 2017, 4:03 pm   #13
Reelman
Octode

Thanks Dazzlevision, for years I've always wanted to know about that.
Peter
Old 18th Jun 2017, 5:57 pm   #14
Focus Diode
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by beltinge bore View Post

I have been searching for a replacement for ages with no luck! Both timebases are OK with good sound after very little work. Lovely little sets IMHO.
Have you tried Billington Export? Can't seem to get the webpage to work on the mobile phone. They list 3x 13BP4s but can't find prices
The list might be old but they do have contact details.

Worth a try.

https://web211.secure-secure.co.uk/t...ProdCode=13BP4
Old 18th Jun 2017, 7:18 pm   #15
beltinge bore
Pentode

Hello

Many thanks for taking the time to look at my post.

Billington (I think) showed 2 of these in stock about 18 months ago. My friend Freya of this Parish found the stock list for me. Alas despite a search of their main warehouse and outhouses were unable to find them! This after quoting a very reasonable £30 price - frustrating to say the least!

The US forums sound a good idea. eBay worldwide search has drawn a blank so far. I live in 'Hope' as Mr Micawber said "something always turns up!"

Regards Steve.
Old 18th Jun 2017, 8:03 pm   #16
G8KBG Tony
Pentode

The US set was the Admiral Playmate. There was also an 11" version.

Picture from Google Images.

Regards, Tony
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Admiral Playmate.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	144720  
Old 18th Jun 2017, 8:08 pm   #17
Focus Diode
Octode

Hi Steve. I wonder if they are equivalents available, say same size, different manufacturer and type number?

I would find it hard to resist the temptation of trying a 12" CRT from a typical b&w portable set using its existing scan coils and wiring the thinner base to the existing one!

Hardly the ideal solution of course.

Hope someone from a US based forum can point you in the right direction.

Had a look myself but, apart from Billington it drew a blank.

Cheers
Brian
Old 19th Jun 2017, 7:42 am   #18
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlevision View Post
Yes, until the merger with Radio & Allied Industries Ltd (Sobell) in 1962, GEC made their TVs and radios in Coventry. However, fairly soon after the merger, production was concentrated in the R&AIL factory in Hirwaun, South Wales.
A correction: GEC merged with R&AIL in 1961.

GEC, Radio & TV Works, Spon Street, Coventry (in 1957).
Old 19th Jun 2017, 9:23 am   #19
yampy187
Hexode

Hi

That would be where the SKydome complex now stands.

My mum used to work at the GEC factory on Uxbridge AVE where she wired switchboards for navy ships.

Jan
Old 19th Jun 2017, 9:44 am   #20
mark pirate
Dekatron

Very interesting thread, Many years ago I had the version fitted with the UHF tuner. I recall it worked fine on 405, but very poor on UHF.
Quote:
the cut away ventilation holes [get the Stanley knife out] at the top of the back. This was an official GEC modification to prevent overheating.
My set had this "modification" carried out, It did run extremely hot to the point where the top of the cabinet had been distorted quite badly.

Mark
Closed Thread