UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jun 2017, 7:57 pm   #1
PANHARD
Retired Dormant Member

Default Taylor 100A.

Hello, I got a taylor 100a meter very clean inside and out, tested some batteries and seems ok, but have to get batteries to see if resistance readings are good, all components inside look ok no burnt resistors etc, only fault is the dial pointer does not return to zero it sits about 3 graduations up, i tried to adjust with adjuster on front but no success, has anyone ever removed the dial mechanism from these meters or can offer any advice on how to cure this problem. Also i could do with a manual for this meter if someone could advise how or where to get one. Thanks
Old 26th Jun 2017, 12:09 pm   #2
karesz*
Heptode

Default Re: Taylor 100A.

Hello,
some infos for you: http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Taylor_...al_Instruments
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=69753
Regards, Karl
Old 26th Jun 2017, 12:47 pm   #3
peter_scott
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANHARD View Post
i tried to adjust with adjuster on front but no success, has anyone ever removed the dial mechanism from these meters or can offer any advice on how to cure this problem. Thanks
The normal mechanism is a slotted arm which when pivoted moves the position of one of the hairsprings that return the pointer. The adjuster normally consists of a boss with a pin that is offset from the centre line. The pin locates in the slot and when the boss is rotated the pin pushes the arm one way or the other. It's not uncommon for the arm to get bent such that the pin is no longer in the slot. Clearly if the movement is removed then the pin and slot must be correctly aligned during re-assembly.

HTH

Peter
Old 26th Jun 2017, 3:09 pm   #4
Freya
Octode

It is also worth knowing that these are designed to be used Horizontal only, if used vertically the pointer will never be able to be zeroed.
The meter is reasonably easy to remove and comes out whole leaving the offset pin in the outer casing, it is often the case as Peter has said that the metal slotted lever that the cam usually runs in is bent. Setting the screw and lever so both are vertical when reinstalling lines them both up, but try adjusting before putting everything back together as it can be hit and miss.
Old 28th Jun 2017, 1:43 pm   #5
PANHARD
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks to all for info and advice about my Taylor 100A, its a nice instrument and I would like to solve this problem. I am still looking for a user manual if anyone could oblige it would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Closed Thread