UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Repair and Restoration Services Wanted

Notices

Repair and Restoration Services Wanted If you need someone to repair or restore equipment for you please post your request here.

Old 4th Mar 2021, 1:55 pm   #1
FiddlerDave
Diode

Default Yaesu FT101E

Having just returned to ham radio during the lockdowns after an obscenely long absence, I purchased a new 2m rig. I then decided to retrieve my FT101E transceiver from the attic where it had languished for fully 27 years. After acclimatising it to a lovely warm room for around a week, I checked the inside and it seemed fine, It had been kept safely wrapped and in in a dust free and damp free environment.

I powered up (without heaters), but an electrolytic capacitor failed loudly with white smoke after 3 minutes. This was not totally unexpected as these capacitors are subject to age deterioration. This capacitor was on the Reg/Calibrate PCB. I replaced the offending capacitor and all the other electrolytic capacitors on that board. I was then able to receive ok.

I had purchased a dummy load and new digital SWR meter and got set up for testing the rig on transmit, first cleaning up all the VRs with Deoxit as I anticipated some calibration. I was able to set the bias with the two variable resistors. However, I could go no further as the plate and loading had no affect. I suspected further component failure but realised that I could be continually changing components without any guarantee of success.

I feel that it is now time to call in the cavalry as I rather out of my depth now and no longer have any test equipment beyond a Fluke multi-meter. I went online found an organisation in Glasgow called Radioarena but they proved totally incommunicado on more than one number so might no longer be trading?

I would therefore be grateful to know of a reputable repairer, preferably in central Scotland if there is one but reputable being the main requirement.

Kindest regards,

David Gardner

GM4JZB
FiddlerDave is offline   Reply With Quote