UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jan 2021, 7:53 pm   #1
AndiiT
Octode

Default Fidelity Playmaster Oddity

Hi, some years ago I began a thread about variants of the Fidelity Playmaster, whilst not the most salobrious of machines I do have a soft spot for them as they were my first introduction to reel to reel tape recorders (and tape recording) as a child and as a result several have passed through my hands over the years and I currently have four in my collection.

There are at least two variants of the two - track Playmaster, one with rotary controls and what I guess must be an earlier offering with edge type controls which is where my "oddity" begins.
The most recent Playmaster added to my collection is a two track machine with edge type controls, I noticed that the Tone On/Off control did not click and that the machine was permanently on, my initial thought was that someone may have bypassed the mains switch due to failure. Anyway upon opening up the machine to service the deck and replace a few of the usual suspect capacitors it was apparent that the mains switch had not been bypassed and on further inspection the control with the switch operating spigot attached was the volume control, the tone control/mains switch assembly having no such spigot present.

There is no obvious indication that the controls have been swapped at any point and I can't see how the control knobs could be removed and swapped either as they appear to be an integral part of the associated pot. My suspicion is that this was a manufacturing error and wondered if anyone else who has dealt with Playmaster models has seen this before or is my machine perhaps a "Friday afternoon special"?

Regards

Andrew
Old 10th Jan 2021, 9:48 pm   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Fidelity Playmaster Oddity

Just supports your post Andrew, the layout diagram for the Playmaster (from the Vintage Radio DVD data) shows the on/off switch on the tone control. Very strange your one is on the volume control ?

David
Old 10th Jan 2021, 10:35 pm   #3
AndiiT
Octode

Hi, the mains switch isn’t on the volume control however the spigot that operates it is on the volume control knob and not on the tone one, the mains switch itself is co sited with the tone control. As mentioned I can’t see any way that this could have occurred other than a manufacturing error.

Andrew
Old 11th Jan 2021, 12:43 am   #4
DMcMahon
Dekatron

OK now fully understand.

If the relevant parts cannot be practically removed/swapped over then as you say maybe a manufacturing/build error.

David
Old 11th Jan 2021, 10:30 am   #5
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Andrew, I have original Playmaster-2 and Playmaster-4 Operating Instructions manuals (not in the best of condition).

If they would be of any interest to you I will stick them in the post to you (FOC).

David
Old 11th Jan 2021, 10:12 pm   #6
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Manuals to be posted to Andrew tomorrow.
Closed Thread