UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 24th May 2018, 12:40 pm   #1
Deccatech
Triode

Default Unknown turntable ID and part wanted...

We have a turntable in the workshop that I'm trying to identify...please see attached images. There are markings underneath as shown, including a model No 12300, but no make at all on it anywhere. I am actually looking for a replacement centre spindle which, on the image I've attached, has the top 3/4" or so missing, meaning records can't be stacked. Strangely the turntable is built in to a radiogram with the Polydor logo, and the radiogram chassis is a Siemens model. So a real combi. But after countless hours working on every electronic and mechanical aspect of it, she is singing once again.
Am hoping against hope that someone will recognise this and possibly point me in the right direction so I can source either a complete autochanger or centre spindle!
All the best to all members.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6438.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	163470   Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown turntable.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	163471  

Last edited by Deccatech; 24th May 2018 at 12:42 pm. Reason: missing text
Old 24th May 2018, 12:49 pm   #2
dragonser
Heptode

Default Re: Unknown turntable ID and part wanted...

Hi,
well I don't know about getting hold of the spare part you need, but it seems that there was a Patent for a similar model of turntable.
http://patents.google.com/patent/US2803465A/en
Old 24th May 2018, 5:00 pm   #3
usradcoll1
Heptode

I lived in Milwaukee, WI, USA for a good many years and I never ran across a Record Deck made by them. I know the firm that made them.
The brand name that they went by was Milwaukee Erwood. It's surprising to see they built a model for export.
IIRC, some of the smaller firms, that built private label products used them but I never ran across one.
Milwaukee Stamping only seemed to build them for a short time.
Old 24th May 2018, 5:05 pm   #4
Deccatech
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonser View Post
Hi,
well I don't know about getting hold of the spare part you need, but it seems that there was a Patent for a similar model of turntable.
http://patents.google.com/patent/US2803465A/en
What an interesting link...how did you make the connection? One couldn't have better information as to this deck's origin! I shall study this with interest. It makes me wonder if this radiogram is some sort of prototype.
Hopefully not though...or it won't bode well for sourcing another or spare we need. Will wait and see if anyone can pin it down to a manufacturer.
Very many thanks for the valuable info.
Old 24th May 2018, 5:58 pm   #5
Deccatech
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by usradcoll1 View Post
I lived in Milwaukee, WI, USA for a good many years and I never ran across a Record Deck made by them. I know the firm that made them.
The brand name that they went by was Milwaukee Erwood. It's surprising to see they built a model for export.
IIRC, some of the smaller firms, that built private label products used them but I never ran across one.
Milwaukee Stamping only seemed to build them for a short time.
Thanks very much for this information. I did a Google search on Milwaukee Erwood 12300 and found a very interesting document listing numerous turntable types and the corresponding make & model of product they were fitted to...this in itself is an interesting resource! I looked through it and eventually spotted the turntable in question listed as fitted to a 'Steelman 5000'. Link for the list is here:

http://www.smcelectronics.com/CHGXREF1.PDF

But nothing found on the Steelman 5000. Still, at least the turntable went into production, so there's hope...
Old 24th May 2018, 6:41 pm   #6
Deccatech
Triode

I've found a different Milwaukee-Erwood model on Radiomuseum site...Model 11200...its centre spindle may, or may not be the same, it has part number 11250. I may need to purchase a manual for the 12300 which I have here, just to see if they both use the same centre spindle. At least if the part numbers match it means spares for the 11200 would be suitable!
Old 25th May 2018, 8:19 am   #7
ben
Dekatron

Try asking on this US forum, which is similar in nature to our own.
Old 25th May 2018, 11:01 am   #8
Deccatech
Triode

Thanks Ben, have just applied for membership. Will update this post when any news!
Closed Thread