UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th May 2018, 8:14 pm   #1
camtechman
Nonode

Default At Last One Of My Collections Is Complete

Some may think that this achievement should be celebrated in the "Success" section.

But it's not about the amount of hard work fault finding and restoring an item. Although I've enjoyed reading what other members have achieved and are true "Successes"

It's about the success of obtaining a very hard to find, limited Philips EL3301 G/15 cassette recorder. Those who've seen my other posts about these machines, collecting them is an obsession of mine.

It wasn't till about a year ago that I became aware that this particular model even existed ! (Thanks to "Maarten" for the info he provided) & Like a red rag to a bull, I had to find one for my collection!

So, what's so special about it?

Is it the first EL3300/00 model (the first one launched at the 1963/4 Berlin Radio Show) NO!

Is it the American version, branded Norelco ? NO!

These machines were made in several countries: Holland, Belgium, Austria to name 3 of them and in great quantities (some refer to them as the iPod of its time)

The one I have now acquired is....wait for it...... "Made In England" !! and only for a short period (It appears only in1966) and not in the quantities the above countries manufactured.

I have provided photos but, externally it's the same as most of the range they produced. The only give away is the internal label on which is printed: "BA" (Philips UK). And, below the battery meter, it's printed: "Made In England"

WOW, Joy of joys, I now own one and in good cosmetic condition....of course the two rubbers belts have to be replaced.

Job Done.....now it's time that I get around to completing that long promised but overdue book on the history of these memorable machines, the introduction of the Musicassette and to honour & pay tribute to the great Lou Ottens.

Last edited by camtechman; 10th May 2018 at 8:21 pm.
Old 10th May 2018, 8:25 pm   #2
camtechman
Nonode

Default Re: At Last One Of My Collections Is Complete

Pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EL3301-G15 #5.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	162577   Click image for larger version

Name:	EL3301-G15 #6.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	162578   Click image for larger version

Name:	EL3301-G15 #9.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	162579  
Old 10th May 2018, 8:49 pm   #3
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Congratulations!
At first, I thought this model might have been produced to avoid any loss of sales through the 'Buy British' campaign, but it's a little too early.
Old 10th May 2018, 9:05 pm   #4
Sideband
Dekatron

BA 00 also means it hasn't had any production changes.
Old 10th May 2018, 11:39 pm   #5
Refugee
Dekatron

There was an earlier 1/8 inch format dictating machine made.
It had two half cassette sections and a plastic tag on the end of the tape to pull it through the heads to the take up spool in the empty half cassette.
Old 11th May 2018, 9:57 am   #6
dazzlevision
Dekatron

I'm very pleased for you on having acquired this rather uncommon version of the EL3301.

An interesting product from the Croydon factory of Philips UK. I also have one of these in my collection of Philips/Stella/Pye/Norelco machines based on the original "monoknob" deck mechanism used in the EL3300 up to the EL3302P (and the derived models, such as N2202, etc).

My first tape recorder was an EL3301A/15T (if my memory is correct), bought from Currys circa 1964-5 at £27 (a lot of money in those days). It was made in Austria. I do remember a fellow school class mate who had the UK version, as it was easily identified by the "Made in England" legend on the tape transport controls/meter escutcheon.

I suspect that the phrase "Made in England" really ought to have been "Assembled in England", as it's surely the case that a fully assembled mechanism and PCBs would be imported from Philips in either Holland or Austria and wired up in the UK, before fitting into the cabinet. I would have thought that any other approach would be uneconomic...?
Old 11th May 2018, 11:25 pm   #7
camtechman
Nonode

Quote:
I suspect that the phrase "Made in England" really ought to have been "Assembled in England"
Around that time many UK manufacturers used that ploy to make people buy their products.

In the 70's a campaign was launched, called "I'm Backing Britain". It caught on like wildfire and sales of British products soared.

We even bought a Creda Tumble Dryer because it was plastered with these labels: "Best Of British" & "We're Backing Britain".. However, a year later, the dryer stopped working so I took the cover off & saw the motor which had this label: "Made In Germany" !!!

Last edited by camtechman; 11th May 2018 at 11:39 pm.
Old 12th May 2018, 4:39 pm   #8
sp10mk11
Octode

The feeling of satisfaction should be enough to stop you buying anymore cassettes for about 2 hours.............No seriously I am chuffed for you, all that effort and time and one pops up, Well Done.
Gary
I had a Hoover Washer with a "This ones made in Britain" sticker and a picture of a Bull Dog on it back to 70s that was.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	162707  
Old 14th May 2018, 2:43 pm   #9
ben
Dekatron

Well done! And in good nick too.
One day I hope to pick up a 3300 or 3301 as I just have some 3302s.
Interesting point about the 'Buy British' stickers on European-made kit - what a sham! What else could be expected from a crude attempt to use patriotism to fool working people into doing longer hours for free whilst the big corporations carried on as usual.
I had a 'Sound riviera' reel-reel tape machine which, despite a continental name, had 'British and best' emblazoned in gold on the reels! Revox it wasn't
Old 15th May 2018, 8:32 am   #10
llama
Octode

Ben, I've got a 3301A/15 here with your name on it. In fact, I promised it to you ages ago, along with a bunch of language-lab cassette machines.

I need a UK delivery address (& suitable date) for packing them off to you.
Graham
Old 20th May 2018, 2:55 am   #11
ben
Dekatron

Blimey, I'd forgotten about that - will be in touch! Thanks Graham.
Old 26th May 2018, 9:28 pm   #12
Maarten
Dekatron

What a nice find! Happy to have contributed

There could be a few clues as to how much of the manufacture was actually done in the UK. Could you have a look at the code numbers on the copper side of the PCB? And is there some kind of label on the component side on the PCB?
Old 26th May 2018, 10:48 pm   #13
Maarten
Dekatron

Also the production numbers may not have been too high. Serial number 3922 probably indicates the 2922th set produced. The week in the date code was handwritten.
Old 27th May 2018, 2:05 pm   #14
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Here are some photos of my UK “made” EL3301G/15, including the etched code number on the PCB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F59FAC11-67DE-4F3F-A82F-1005EF8DF65E.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	163630   Click image for larger version

Name:	2DE2F1BF-50C1-447E-BDF0-A5BB743DBDB4.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	163631  
Old 27th May 2018, 8:41 pm   #15
Maarten
Dekatron

Thanks! The etched number is a Dutch/Belgian sketch number likely to be the same as in Belgian an probably Austrian models, so British production didn't involve a PCB redesign. Unfortunately no clue as to whether the pcb was assembled in the UK or just imported. No labels on the component side of the PCB, I assume?

From the 2 serial numbers (assuming they started counting at 1001) the minimum number of sets produced would be 4181 and the most likely number of sets produced 10655. A production run of around 10000 doesn't seem unlikely but with only 2 examples this obviously isn't a very good estimate.

Last edited by Maarten; 27th May 2018 at 8:52 pm.
Old 28th May 2018, 7:59 am   #16
camtechman
Nonode

Maarten,

Here's the info you requested:

The etched number was difficult to read at first, some solder covered some numbers (perhpaps by flow soldering)?

However, using solderwick made it more readable, here goes:

13W 999 17

I didn't find a label on the component side but here's numbers on the 2 transformers, if it helps:

#1 A3 571 24/WD 115.
#2 A3 571 23/WD 115.

However, There is now a problem !.......my fingers are now covered in the "black goo" from the melted belts which I had not got around to cleaning away. LOL

Tony
Old 29th May 2018, 8:54 pm   #17
Maarten
Dekatron

Thanks! The PCB artwork was done in Netherlands/Belgium (3W code) just as in dazzlevisions set. The transformers were designed in Netherlands/Belgium (A3 code) but manufactured in Austria (in week 11 of 1965, factory letters WD). Both to be expected, so still not sure exactly how much of the assembling was done in the UK.

As to the black goo, I'm afraid we've all been there. I certainly have.
Closed Thread