UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Apr 2018, 9:38 am   #1
Chris 1155
Tetrode

Default FM deviation

Hello,
I want to check and possibly adjust the deviation on my FT221r.
Does anyone have any advice on how to do this without a dedicated deviation meter.
Thanks and 73 Chris G4BYZ
Old 26th Apr 2018, 10:19 am   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: FM deviation

There is a trick you can do simply using a calibrated audio-frequency sinewave oscillator and another (SSB/CW) receiver.

This makes use of the mathematical "Bessel equation" analysis of FM, one property being that there are certain audio-modulating-frequency/deviation combinations at which the carrier will seemingly disappear!

http://www.qsl.net/g3oou/fmdeviation.html has more details.

There's some stuff about the technique in the old ARRL/RSGB radio handbooks too. I'll spare you the underlying math, since not everyone's happy with sines, cosines, and sums-to-infinity in calculus.
Old 27th Apr 2018, 10:36 am   #3
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Easily done with one of the ~£10 DVB-TV dongles and associated SDR software.
Use it as the poor man's spectrum analyser.
Old 27th Apr 2018, 10:51 am   #4
Radio Wrangler

With the dongle and FFT programme you can also see the other Bessel null relationships where different sidebands drop to zero. If the calibration of your audio generator is good, this is a very accurate method..... and how do you suppose deviation meters are calibrated?

David