UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Sep 2017, 11:17 pm   #1
skamanuk
Retired Dormant Member

Default Dansette Regina Help needed

Hi Guys. I have a problem with my Dansette Regina Transistor Amp Record player.

After around 10 minutes of play the sound deteriorates to nothing, A rapid twist of the Volume knob brings the sound back but only for a few minutes then disappears again.

I had the Volume pot changed thinking that was the culprit but alas it's still doing it. My now thought is it's a component on the circuit board failing when warmed up but not sure which it may be. Any Ideas

I will be downloading the Amp schematics from the site (if available for the Regina)

Gary
Old 11th Sep 2017, 12:08 am   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Dansette Regina Help needed

Service data here: http://www.service-data.com/section.php/1523/1/regina
Old 11th Sep 2017, 12:13 am   #3
skamanuk
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks, just need to know what members think is the culprit now
Old 11th Sep 2017, 9:43 am   #4
Station X

Does this player have red, yellow and black Plessey electrolytic capacitors?

I'm not one for changing caps just for the sake of it, but these caps are unreliable.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 11th Sep 2017, 12:22 pm   #5
skamanuk
Retired Dormant Member

Yes it does
Old 9th Dec 2017, 12:39 am   #6
skamanuk
Retired Dormant Member

Does anybody know Which of the BC 108 Transistors is the correct replacement 108A , 108B or , 108C
Old 9th Dec 2017, 12:56 am   #7
AC/HL
Dekatron

It doesn't specify, if it was critical it probably would so could be any gain group. Did changing the capacitors help at all?
Old 9th Dec 2017, 1:19 am   #8
skamanuk
Retired Dormant Member

No unfortunately not. It's a real annoying problem.. It plays for a while then cuts out.. A slight tap on the outer case and the sound comes back but just for a while, Even thought it may be a dry joint so checked and re soldered all the joints on the circuit board but didn't make any difference
Old 9th Dec 2017, 1:53 am   #9
AC/HL
Dekatron

It does sound like a intermittent joint somewhere, although probably not on the board. Not a lot left, have you tried an external speaker or headphones?
Old 9th Dec 2017, 2:01 am   #10
Nuvistor
Dekatron

When its faulty what tests have you done to try and rule out, cartridge/wiring, amp and speaker circuit.
Appreciate you have replaced the VC and checked for dry joints.
Old 9th Dec 2017, 11:45 am   #11
Station X

The symptoms certainly suggest a mechanical problem with a component or connection.

All I can suggest is a gentle probing/proding/tapping of individual components when the fault is present.

Some people swear by freezer spray, but I've not tried it.

Old 9th Dec 2017, 2:16 pm   #12
Techman
Dekatron

Funnily enough I've just been working on a similar small portable record player with a transistorised amplifier which needed cartridge replacement and mechanical work to the deck and while on test last Thursday, the amplifier suddenly failed half way through a record. Initially there had been some low level background crackling which had qickly cleared up by itself and had successfully played quite a few records over a few days. On switching it off and making a few checks to cartridge connections etc. (I had noted that there had still been a very slight hum from the speaker indicating that the main part of the amplifier was still working), I switched it back on and found it was working, but soon cut out again after a short time. Further investigation found that the first amplifier stage transistor immediately after the volume control had developed a dodgy base emitter junction (abnormal voltages and higher than normal forward resistance when removed and tested). This was one of the infamous BC148 'lockfit' types and and having opened a fresh a pack of RS Components BC108 transistors from my ancient stock and fitted one of these, all was back to normal operation.

So it sounds like it could well be the same amplifier stage in your amplifier that's causing the fault and a BC108 will work just fine.
Old 9th Dec 2017, 10:47 pm   #13
skamanuk
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
It does sound like a intermittent joint somewhere, although probably not on the board. Not a lot left, have you tried an external speaker or headphones?
yes checked those

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
When its faulty what tests have you done to try and rule out, cartridge/wiring, amp and speaker circuit.
Appreciate you have replaced the VC and checked for dry joints.
first thing i did was check the pickup wires and change the cartridge (twice in fact). Speaker connections were also checked early on in the investigations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
... So it sounds like it could well be the same amplifier stage in your amplifier that's causing the fault and a BC108 will work just fine.
Thank you for that.. I actually ordered all new transistors so will be fitting those in coming days will report back on progress
Old 18th Dec 2017, 1:28 am   #14
skamanuk
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
So it sounds like it could well be the same amplifier stage in your amplifier that's causing the fault and a BC108 will work just fine.
Thanks for the information, It was indeed the BC108. Changed and finally working as it should.
Old 18th Dec 2017, 10:46 pm   #15
nigelr2000
Heptode

I had a similar fault on a bush discassette a while back and did a video to show the customer. It's here and shows use of soldering iron and freezer to prove the fault
https://youtu.be/XHGpUaR_kpA
Old 12th Jan 2018, 11:30 pm   #16
skamanuk
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Update time...

well I have now changed EVERY component on the circuit board Resistors Capacitors and Transistors. I have checked every connection to the External outputs Checked AND Replaced the tonearm and pickup wires and tried with TWO different cartridges.. Unbelievably The Fault remains. I remember their was a HUM Problem in a 60s Ferguson (from memory) traced to a batch of cracked circuit boards, Is it possible the Dansette problem could be the same kind of Hard to see crack or similar.
Old 13th Jan 2018, 10:43 pm   #17
Stylo N M
Heptode

I'm not familiar with this model, and you say you have replaced every component, but unless I'm wrong, I haven't seen in any of the posts, anything refering to the inspection of the rectifier, or the transformer supplying the power to the circuit board.

Have you checked this, for perhaps heat expansion, where there may be a fine break in the transformer coil when it warms up?

I don't know if this model uses an output sound transformer, but if it does, that may have a similar fault on the windings on temperature change, or green spot in the windings.

Paul.
Old 13th Jan 2018, 11:29 pm   #18
Station X

Wholesale changing of components is not a good repair technique and won't teach you anything about the way the circuit works.

You need to do some fault finding. I'd start by monitoring the voltage across the 4800uF ?? smoothing capacitor from the time the player is switched on until it cuts out. Whether this cap has been replaced or not is immaterial.

Once you ruled out a PSU failure you can start measuring voltages on the transistors.

Old 15th Jan 2018, 11:17 am   #19
John10b
Nonode

Hi skamanuk, in your post #14, you say you changed bc108, and “..working as it should”. How long before fault reappeared, or have I misunderstood!
Cheers
John
Closed Thread