UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 29th Mar 2018, 11:33 am   #1
Sparks
Heptode

Default Is it possible to get more receiver volume from BT Statesman and Viscount phones ?

I'm planning to convert one or the other to binaural headset use but so far I find the earphone volume isn't really sufficient for two 300 ohm earphones. Apart from adding a battery-powered inline amplifier is it feasible, for example, to remove or replace some components from the circuit board ? Would something like that help ?

All suggestions gratefully read. Thankyou.
Old 29th Mar 2018, 3:45 pm   #2
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: Is it possible to get more receiver volume from BT Statesman and Viscount phones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
I'm planning to convert one or the other to binaural headset use but so far I find the earphone volume isn't really sufficient for two 300 ohm earphones.
When you say 'binaural' do you mean each headset receiver is connected to something different? The 'new' type of inset receiver in the Statesman or Ambassador has an impedance of typically 462 Ohms at 1kHz so is a lot higher than the traditional kind. Are you replacing the handset receiver inset with the headset or are you planning on running the handset as well?

You could use a matching transformer (or transformers) to adjust the impedance to your headset, but you'd need to find them small enough to fit in your phone.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 29th Mar 2018, 5:09 pm   #3
Sparks
Heptode

Default Re: Is it possible to get more receiver volume from BT Statesman and Viscount phones

Russell, the plan is to simply use the circuit board of whichever phone, so no handset or keypad and a BT1000 lever key as a hook switch. The headset has two 300 ohm rocking armature earphones wired in parallel and a dynamic microphone, altogether replacing the handset.
Old 29th Mar 2018, 6:33 pm   #4
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Try the receivers in series before considering other options to see if that makes an improvement.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 29th Mar 2018, 9:16 pm   #5
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

The circuits used in amplifying handsets and powered from the carbon transmitter voltage may give you some inspiration

http://www.samhallas.co.uk/repositor...1000/N1840.pdf

http://www.samhallas.co.uk/repositor...1000/N1842.pdf

http://www.samhallas.co.uk/collectio...3_variants.htm
Old 30th Mar 2018, 11:16 am   #6
Sparks
Heptode

I just happen to own one of those amplifier circuits from the old GPO handsets. The snag is that they are powered by the same source as the carbon transmitter on a type 746. The Statesman and Viscount don't have that power provision.

Ideally I was hoping for a solution along the lines of removing or replacing a resistor in the receiver circuit to boost the volume.

Thankyou for your responses folks.
Old 30th Mar 2018, 11:47 am   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Seems a shame to spoil a Statesman or Viscount with no guarantee of success.

I could send you a BT Relate 300 phone with loudspeaking provision (powered by AA batteries) FOC if you wish - it came from moderator Graham originally. The display's on the way out but it functions perfectly in other respects and would be an ideal candidate for what you're trying to do, I would have thought. Just pay P&P.

Cheers,

Nick.
Old 30th Mar 2018, 12:29 pm   #8
Sparks
Heptode

Thanks for your kind offer Nick but I'll pass. The Statesman and Viscount were almost scrap when I bought them so there's no need to worry ! I'll persevere.
Closed Thread