UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jan 2019, 11:28 pm   #1
Dbfrancis
Retired Dormant Member

Default Diamond stylus DSC 1052 philips GP215

Hi All can someone tell me if the dsc 1052 philips gp 215 stylus is safe to use on my records. It say it should be set at a weight of 5 gram but should I go less. I recently got an old philips 3 band stereo record player back working. This is the stylus it takes as far as I know. Was told I should up grade the speakers but would have to be three pin and 8 ohms. Any advice on what type I should go for.
Thanks David
Old 26th Jan 2019, 11:18 am   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Diamond stylus DSC 1052 philips GP215

Speakers were usually the weakest link in a typical 1970s stereo seperates system.
You say any replacement speakers wound need to be 8 ohm, well most are anyway, and "3 Pin" - what this 3 pin? All speakers are 2 pin.
Old 26th Jan 2019, 5:31 pm   #3
jamesperrett
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbfrancis View Post
Hi All can someone tell me if the dsc 1052 philips gp 215 stylus is safe to use on my records. It say it should be set at a weight of 5 gram but should I go less.
It is usually safer to be on the heavy side as mistracking will cause more damage to records than slightly heavy tracking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbfrancis View Post
Was told I should up grade the speakers but would have to be three pin and 8 ohms. Any advice on what type I should go for.
Thanks David
Does the 3 pin relate to the sockets fitted to the stereo or are you really talking about 3 way speakers (speakers with 3 drive units in each box)? The GP215 would have been fitted to a mid 70's budget system from Philips or Pye which usually used 2 pin DIN speaker plugs although I seem to remember seeing compatible 3 pin sockets used where you could insert the plug in one of two ways - one way would switch any internal speaker off while the other way would allow both internal and external speakers to be used. However, this is unlikely to apply in your case.

As the system uses a ceramic cartridge it is unlikely to be particularly high quality or high power so any improvement from better speakers will be limited.
Old 26th Jan 2019, 8:16 pm   #4
ben
Dekatron

the GP215 is sold as a complete ceramic stylus-cartridge assembly. It is stereo so safe to use. Tracking weight is as you said, 5g is towards the heavier end, but I would not go lower than 4 for the reasons James mentions.

If you post pictures of the speaker connectors we can advise.
Closed Thread