UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Dec 2013, 1:31 pm   #1
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Default Vintage JVC GR-C1 Camcorder

Hello,

Apologies if this is in the wrong thread, I was unsure what category best to put it in.

I wondered if someone could help me, I have purchased a JVC GR-C1 1984 Camcorder, essentially the same model which featured predominately as Marty's Camera in back to the future, but mine is missing its lens hood.

I just wanted to know is it possible to use any cheap looking replica generic lens hood that you can get on eBay if I buy the right size?

I am hoping the one from my 1982 none working Sony Trinicon Betamax camera will fit as it looks about the same size, but I'm unsure as the JVC hasn't yet arrived. I think the lens on the JVC is 49mm

Hope someone can help.

For anyone curious here is a picture the JVC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img9802h.jpg
Views:	1496
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	86613  
Old 4th Dec 2013, 5:46 pm   #2
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Vintage JVC GR-C1 Camcorder Lens hood

I don't know that model, but 49mm is a common filter size, so it looks likely.
Failing that, various push-fit hoods are available.
If you still have an old-fashioned local photographic dealer, they will almost certainly have something to fit.
Old 4th Dec 2013, 7:32 pm   #3
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_1993 View Post
I have purchased a JVC GR-C1 1984 Camcorder
I did not realize these were that old, I have the same model hiding in the loft!
I am sure it will still work, but the battery will be shot by now.

Mark
Old 4th Dec 2013, 7:36 pm   #4
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Yeah it will be, but believe it or not they sell brand new replacement batteries for them. Already got a new one for it
Old 4th Dec 2013, 7:44 pm   #5
mark pirate
Dekatron

What was the cost of the replacement battery?
I will dig it out and see if it still works, it did record a good picture when I last used it.
I still have the cassette converter as well

Mark
Old 4th Dec 2013, 9:09 pm   #6
Ryan_1993
Hexode

I ordered it from Amazon here. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Battery-GR-C.../dp/B001HR4CO0. I guess nowadays these batteries are going to be the only saviour for relics as old as this.

I am guessing though this modern one will last longer than the original did when it was new? Apparently when even when it was new you got 25-30 min of use from its battery.
Old 8th Dec 2013, 8:55 am   #7
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Default Help with JVC GR C1 camcorder

Hello guys, hope I am posting on the right section of the forums.

Anyways my JVC GR C1E arrived last night overall condition is good and comes with a good amount of accessories. It's the camcorder which doc Brown owned in Back To The Future Part 1.

However, although I know the batteries are pretty much shot one said it was fully charged after about 40 minutes on the JVC charger. (I have bought the optional JVC power supply accessory and a new battery for it). It did power the camera on for about 30-40 seconds. I powered it on, it allowed me to eject and inserted a VHS-C cassette, the black & white CRT in the viewfinder came on, even the zoom worked for a brief moment, but all I got was a grey screen in the viewfinder no live image ever appeared. Is it possible that it didn't have enough power in its battery to fully power the camera tube and make an image? it was only on for about 30 seconds before the battery died And shut off.

The thing what has me a little concerned is when pressing the Iris lock button above the lens is that it just pushes back out and will not stay pushed in, I was just worried that the iris inside the lens was jammed fully in a position closed not letting in any light.

I hope someone can help.

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 8th Dec 2013, 1:03 pm   #8
reelguy
Heptode

Default Re: Help with JVC GR C1 camcorder

I have the Ferguson version of this camcorder. Not sure where I have put it. I will try and find it later.
It should be possible to use it on mains with the correct lead connected to the charger ?. But I will try and check ! The zoom operates by using a switch if memory serves.
Can't promise to look for it at the moment though.
Peter W .....Reelguy.
Old 8th Dec 2013, 5:55 pm   #9
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Default Re: Help with JVC GR C1 camcorder

hello thanks for the reply.

Yes, the only thing what has me concerned is the Iris lock button just under the Microphone of the camcorder doesn't stay pushed in, just pops out again. I wondered if this was normal? if so then I'll just have to wait for the new battery to arrive either tomorrow or Tuesday. If you do find yours would you try it and see if it does the same thing?

Thanks very much Ryan.
Old 8th Dec 2013, 8:04 pm   #10
reelguy
Heptode

Default Re: Vintage JVC GR-C1 Camcorder

The Ferguson I have is model number 3V41...
Quick update. Zoom is motorised OR manually operated.
And the button for iris lock pops back up when pressed on mine.
I don't remember using that button on mine.
As I mentioned earlier, the camera can be used with a dc input on
removing the battery on the camera.
The other end connects to the charger.
Just noticed I seem to have mislaid that cable.
Peter W.....Reelguy.
Old 8th Dec 2013, 10:03 pm   #11
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Default Re: Vintage JVC GR-C1 Camcorder

Thanks for reply.

Well that has reassured me. I have just bought the JVC AC Power adaptor brick for it, should arrive shortly. It took forever to find one online through ebay. Guess its so rare as it was an optional accessory with the camera back in '84. The brick is essentially a larger charger unit, but with a cable which comes off it and allows you to plug into the 9.6 volt socket on the camera.

Hopefully the reason why I am having just the grey screen issue is because of the 29 year old battery being unable to deliver the required amount of power to power the camera tube it does shut off after about 30 seconds, but I was hoping it would give a live image though the view finder even for a brief moment.
Closed Thread