UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Nov 2013, 12:53 pm   #1
JDHewitt
Retired Dormant Member

Default Ekco TCG 337

I have just acquired an Ekco tv/record player. I was told it was sold as working and just needed a power lead which wasn't supplied. Can you tell me where
I can buy one or a modern replacement. It has 2 pins 200/250 v

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 14th Nov 2013 at 10:20 am. Reason: Ecko!
Old 13th Nov 2013, 2:53 pm   #2
petertheorgan
Hexode

Default Re: Ecko TCG 337

Welcome to the forum I wonder if you could post a photograph?
I may be able to advise you on what to do about your power lead; as you are a new member I don't think I can send you a pm yet but if you can pm me your contact details I may be able to advise you.

Peter
Old 13th Nov 2013, 7:06 pm   #3
FERNSEH
Dekatron

This is a difficult connector to find. Unlike the connector you'll find on a Bush TV or DAC90 radio the the pins on this Ekco plug have different sizes.
Certain Ferguson TVs made in the fifties used a similar connector.

DFWB.
Old 13th Nov 2013, 7:30 pm   #4
AC/HL
Dekatron

I might be able to help. From memory I have a connector that sounds similar, but I'm away until the 18th. If I forget, give me a prod.
Old 13th Nov 2013, 8:40 pm   #5
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHewitt View Post
I was told it was sold as working
Unless it has received some electrical restoration recently, I would advise you not to just plug it in, as you may cause some damage to it.

A unit of this age will need the capacitors replacing!
Personally, I would power it up via a variac or a lamp limiter.

Mark
Old 13th Nov 2013, 9:11 pm   #6
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Totally agree Mark. These restore very well with care. If you search the forum for EKCO T330/331/310/311 you will find a lot of information that will guide you through what you are likely to encounter.

It is of course a 405 line receiver and you will require a standards converter such as the Aurora to be able to show pictures on it. Good luck with it. Regards, John.
Old 14th Nov 2013, 11:12 am   #7
JDHewitt
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Ekco TCG 337

Thanks for your advise AC/HL I would be interested if you have one to sell
I will test the set first and look at the wax capasitors I don't intend to just plug it in and switch on far too dangerous.
from the looks of the set it is all original no attempt to tamper with the electrics or clean it so cleaning is first job. some cabinet restoration as well. Let you know how I get on.
Old 17th Nov 2013, 12:24 pm   #8
JDHewitt
Retired Dormant Member

I also have this set but my cabinet has had woodworm. I have the tube but no mains lead or right
control knob. I was thinking of having mine restored so it will probably be better with a new mains lead anyway. Do you have any idea what needle to buy for the record player?

Here are some pics of the Ecko set
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eckooutside.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	86114   Click image for larger version

Name:	eckoin.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	86115   Click image for larger version

Name:	eckoincl.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	86116  
Old 17th Nov 2013, 12:56 pm   #9
mark pirate
Dekatron

It looks like the LOPT housing is ok on your set, these were made of a plastic that can degrade badly on some sets.
Be very careful when cleaning the chassis, particularly the underside and the LOPT, as there are very fine wires that are easily broken.

If you don't have access to a variac, make up a lamp limiter before trying to power it up.

Mark
Old 17th Nov 2013, 7:13 pm   #10
JDHewitt
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks.

It looks like the wax capacitor nearest the tube is gone, but they all need replacing anyway.
Old 17th Nov 2013, 11:43 pm   #11
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Personally I wouldn't be spending any cash on this set until I was sure that the set was viable for restoration - Do you plan to do the work yourself? If the answer is no, then I would be prepared for a hefty bill for the cabinet and electronic restoration - this work is not cheap!

Good Luck!
Old 23rd Nov 2013, 4:25 pm   #12
JDHewitt
Retired Dormant Member

No I wouldnt be able to do the repairs myself. I spoke to a bloke who used to repair valve radio's he's 78 years old, and he said he'd had a fire in his shop because of a tv - gutted the room also he knew someone else who had a fire in the living room. He said that even if it was fixed to work other parts may go later and that he wouldn't have one in his house. Pretty frightening actually. I just wanted it testing for continuity! He also said they use a lot of electricity as well. May put in a new portable cost £10 and an old record deck instead.
Old 23rd Nov 2013, 8:59 pm   #13
hans
Heptode

I've had fires with newer stuff than this. That's why I never leave electronics unattended. I even unplug my mobile charger.
Old 23rd Nov 2013, 9:25 pm   #14
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

This is a vintage radio and television Forum. The chances of your Ekco T330 series catching fire is practically zero. The LOPT has been replaced with a modified assembly thus maintaining safety.
Power consumption? 160watts! That is practically nothing compared with modern similar equipment.
This is basically a technical Forum with many guys willing to guide you through the basics but if you have little idea about vintage electronics, valve technology and the AC/DC technique, I would suggest you leave it well alone but certainly don't believe the nonsense this old radio guy told you! If you remove the internals, do it with care and retain them for possible refitting at a later date.
A lot of the original ' Radio Engineers' did not get on well with television and tended to condemn it and write everything off rather than learn about it. I knew quite a few. John.
Old 23rd Nov 2013, 10:34 pm   #15
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Backing what up what HKS says. I have also worked on the Ekco T330 series TVs and never experienced anything as dramatic as a fire in these receivers. I doubt if the polar ice cap will melt if you use this set for a few hours from time to time.
The T330 series has fuses to protect the main supply and HT circuits. Always make sure the correct rated fuses are fitted.

DFWB.
Old 24th Nov 2013, 11:15 am   #16
JDHewitt
Retired Dormant Member

I have done some research on vintage technology and have a Philco radio which works perfectly well
I have read a little about them but would love to know more. My son did electronic engineering at
Bath Uni and can read schematics and wire musical equipment but did new stuff. Is this set 13amp Fernseh?
Old 24th Nov 2013, 12:20 pm   #17
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Quote:
Is this set 13amp Fernseh?
I've checked out your picture on post #8 and I see that your set has two fuses, some versions have three. It's most likely that the fuses are in the live and neutral leads of the mains input. Fuses are rated 1.5amp anti-surge. If you want to add even more security a third fuse can be fitted. The additional fuse is in anode supply to the booster diode and is rated at 0.5amp.

I have a Ferranti T1011 which will appear shortly on this forum as a resto project. It just needs a recapping job. This table model employs a similar chassis as fitted in your set.

DFWB.
Old 27th Nov 2013, 9:18 pm   #18
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Is this set 13amp Fernseh?
Hats off to you for asking rather than guessing and making a dangerous mistake, BUT I'm afraid I think your level of expertise is probably way below what you'd need to get this lovely old thing going. Vintage TV repair requires a lot of practical and theoretical knowledge, and unless you're already au fait with fixing-up old radios and record players, then you'd be well advised to leave well alone for now.

I've mended dozens of the latter and have been doing so as a hobby for about 30 years, but wouldn't want to work on an ancient telly in that kind of condition yet.

I presume you already know that you'd need a "standards converter" to get it give any kind of picture. One of these along would set you back £200 or so - a bargain, but not something to buy without some commitment to vintage tellies.

I would suggest your best option would be EITHER to pay ££££ (and I mean potentially 4 figures) for a restoration, see here: http://www.radiocraft.co.uk/index.shtml

OR do what you suggested, and carefully remove the guts (and maybe give them away here) and install something modern in the cabinet. This is NOT restoration and will have some people here getting upset, but IMHO it would not be a terrible thing to do to a fairly common set in fairly poor condition. Then practice your skills on a simple valve radio and see how you get on...

HTH and good luck,

Nick
Old 27th Nov 2013, 11:12 pm   #19
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Very wise words Nick. It's a pity our friend is not down South. I would be more than willing to get a picture on it for him. You would still need the standards converter to continue using the receiver and the cost of that may be a bridge too far. John.
Old 13th Dec 2013, 10:38 am   #20
JDHewitt
Retired Dormant Member

I have managed to get a plug to fit the television which works. The update on the Ecko is that when we tried it all the valves worked and then after a few seconds the fuse on the right blew - no fires or load bangs seems a pretty safe set used with care. I noticed the back has information about where to put the leads red, black yellow and blue so as to obtain the correct mains voltage just above the mains pins. It looks as though it was in the wrong places so I changed it round. You are right it is well beyond me and expensive especially if I can't find anyone in the North West of England. Still it only cost £25 not bad for a bit of nostalgia.
Closed Thread