UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jan 2019, 7:37 pm   #121
Humptydumpty
Pentode

Default Re: Trio 9R-59D receiver problems.

Tech man thanks for your information i will check it out

And David i will look in to the one from the usa .And it would be easy for me to fit it if i have a direct fit .Its worth thinking about yes ? . To send it out for a re cap will cost a fair price after caps are found and fitted .

I did say that another 9R 59D came to day . From a well known web site eBay .
The radio is a brother to the one i have .Even down to the HUM .
So to swap out the smoothing cap from that in to mine is of no use .Because the smoothing caps are redundant in this set as well as the one i have now .
I was going to use it for spares but its reception is up on mine its got something mine is missing . It was dirty through in house tobacco stains . But Cif cleaner soon made the front look clean as a new pin. .The shields on the valves are a push fit and had a job removing the valve from the shields ,
Another mod i can do that it is not to complicated, is to fit a new twin and earth mains lead .

But back to the original .David i will look on the usa web site and price up a smoothing cap like the original thats in there now .Come back to you asap .Thats if you want to help me . Thank you .Trev
Old 22nd Jan 2019, 9:53 pm   #122
Humptydumpty
Pentode

David i dont mind the price . And i need 2 of these .Opened up the second Trio 9R 59D only to find just the same problem,, but this one looking at the C40 -41-42 its so obvious the bottom had rotted right out of the can.The white powder was the give away. . Pictures to follow Wednesday . Trev
Old 22nd Jan 2019, 11:29 pm   #123
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Your sets - your money Trev.

At least you know that the triple can on the second radio has definitely expired.

Mind how you go.
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 12:25 pm   #124
Humptydumpty
Pentode

David this is the picture of the expired C -40- 41 -42 the rest of the set is good . I did notice one problem with the RF and AF no way could i turn the volume down.But at this time dont want to bring a second one in to the equation . Will look for those capacitors you talked about above so i will be giving you a rest for a bit .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04926.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	176955   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04929.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	176956  
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 1:02 pm   #125
Humptydumpty
Pentode

Looking on the usa site the C40 is a twist tab fitting mie is clamp so the set would have no slots for the twist tabs ..
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 1:58 pm   #126
Humptydumpty
Pentode

David can you look at post 119 by techman i would think those would be a better fit radial type .
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 5:41 pm   #127
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humptydumpty View Post
Looking on the usa site the C40 is a twist tab fitting mie is clamp so the set would have no slots for the twist tabs ..
If the Amerian cap is the same diameter as yor existing one you could clip off the tabs and use the existing clamp to fix the new can, but in my view, the cost plus shipping cost, and possibly import duty and collection fee would be so high as to rule that out of the queston. There are probably European suppliers at a more realistic price, but separate caps mounted under the chassis makes more sense.
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 6:07 pm   #128
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
David can you look at post 119 by techman i would think those would be a better fit radial type .
Yes, they'd be fine and as Techmman says, do them one at a time to see what, if any, improvement it makes in reducing the hum. Just to clarify, those aren't 'radial' they're 'axial'. 'Axial' caps are when one wire comes out of each end - 'radial' are where both leads come out at one end.

If you look at the pic you posted, you'll see that there is a ground tag near to the base of the cap which looks unused. You could if you wish, use that solder tag to anchor the negative ends of the three caps, with the individual positive ends going to each of the three red wires. (Insulate the joints with sleeving). Not to complicate matters, but you may find that the three red wires go to nearby solder tags, so if the new caps will reach from those tags to ground, you could just unsolder the red wires completely and fit the individual three new caps between those tags and ground.

Just make sure that you know what you're doing, and if need be, take before and after pics. Always 'do a bit - test a bit' - don't change several components at once on this or any other set or you'll get into a muddle. Look at the circuit and try to relate it to the component layout so you understand what you're doing - not making a leap in the dark.

Hope that helps.
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 6:33 pm   #129
ms660
Dekatron

http://ijl.mbnet.fi/trio_9r59ds.html

Lawrence.
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 7:20 pm   #130
Humptydumpty
Pentode

David i will do as you say above when they turn up .. And how about the inside of the C40 its all leaking out .Wont it damage other things running it like it is ? Do you think it would be best to just replace them all at the same time .I will go and pay for these caps at Cricklewood .
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 8:54 pm   #131
Humptydumpty
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
Lawrence all good , but i am not able to understand the lingo Russian i think . More than interesting though . Thank you
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 8:58 pm   #132
ms660
Dekatron

It was for the photo record I posted it, some of the clearest I've found to date.

Lawrence.
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 9:01 pm   #133
Humptydumpty
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
I agree that you should leave the original three in one capacitor can in place and fit replacements (if necessary) under the chassis.

I think you should definitely NOT attempt to re-stuff the original capacitor can!

For cheapness you could just buy one single 47uf @ 400 volts working replacement capacitor and fit it in place of each of the three in turn and see if it's just one that's causing the problem, starting with the one nearest the rectifier which is the reservoir.

You say you couldn't find replacements - there must be dozens of places selli theradial type.
Cricklewoods in London do a 47uf @ I think 450 volts with good ripple current rating for a couple or three quid - plus the dreaded postage of course. Phone them with your bank card details and order one if you don't do Paypal.

Just found the Cricklewood capacitor, link below:-
https://www.cricklewoodelectronics.com/47A450.html

If you do replacements under the chassis, you could just fit them roughly for a start to see if it cures the fault and if it does, you can then decide to make a better job of fitting them later. If it makes no difference, then just connect back up to the original can and look elsewhere.
Thank you i have just ordered three of these caps Aixil type .As you said they will fit in better than the ones with wires out of the one end .Thanks again Trevor
Old 24th Jan 2019, 1:15 pm   #134
Humptydumpty
Pentode

David .. Would it be a good idea to cover these new capacitors with shrinkwrap ? On each end , all over ,, or just on the joints .What is the best way to instal them for best results . ..
David yes there is large earth solder joint very close to C40 that i can us for the earth - of the caps . I will replace one by one first . We are talking about the original Trio . Not the old one that shows clear signs of escaping powder . I will let this sit for now . Once i have done original Trio i can then do the other the same way later on..
'
Old 24th Jan 2019, 1:59 pm   #135
David G4EBT
Dekatron

If you just intend to connect the + ends of the new caps to the three red wires, slide a small length of red heat-shrink sleeve over the red wires before you join the + ends of the caps to those wires, then when you've soldered the joints, slip the sleeving along over the joint and shrink it. Otherwise, if the + tags to which the three red wires go are close enough for you to remove the red wires and connect the new caps directly between those + tags to the ground tag, just slip some red sleeving over the + wires of the caps. You don't need to insulate the negative ends of the caps as they're at ground potential but if they're close to other live connections, then of course it makes sense to insulate them.

While you're waiting for the caps to arrive, it would help if you looked closely at the wiring arrangements to gain an understanding of how they relate to the circuit and whether it's feasible to connect the caps directly to the three + ve points and ground, or whther you need to re-use the exiting red wires.
Old 24th Jan 2019, 8:36 pm   #136
Humptydumpty
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
Quote:
Yes, they'd be fine and as Techmman says, do them one at a time to see what, if any, improvement it makes in reducing the hum. Just to clarify, those aren't 'radial' they're 'axial'. 'Axial' caps are when one wire comes out of each end - 'radial' are where both leads come out at one end.

If you look at the pic you posted, you'll see that there is a ground tag near to the base of the cap which looks unused. You could if you wish, use that solder tag to anchor the negative ends of the three caps, with the individual positive ends going to each of the three red wires. (Insulate the joints with sleeving). Not to complicate matters, but you may find that the three red wires go to nearby solder tags, so if the new caps will reach from those tags to ground, you could just unsolder the red wires completely and fit the individual three new caps between those tags and ground.

Just make sure that you know what you're doing, and if need be, take before and after pics. Always 'do a bit - test a bit' - don't change several components at once on this or any other set or you'll get into a muddle. Look at the circuit and try to relate it to the component layout so you understand what you're doing - not making a leap in the dark.

Hope that helps.
David i am going with your plan .If i can reach the red wire contact location then i can remove the red wire altogether . That way no joints . Nice one David .
Thank you for your help David , your still with me helping me along .I will let you know when i have one cap in place . Replacing then one at a time as i go .I will do one first then if no change reconect and do the next one.
Old 24th Jan 2019, 10:19 pm   #137
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
Excellent link Lawrence.

In addition to the high quality close-up pictures, the videos are also good to watch. He's done a great deal to re-furnish and upgrade the set. Obviously the commentary can't be followed, but the text can easily be translated on 'google translate' or whatever. (Not sure why he changed the antenna socket from SO239 to BNC?)

A nice trip down memory lane for me to see the inside of the set in so much detail. It looked a pristine example.

The 9R59DS was my first SW receiver, from 1970 - 74 when I was licensed and upgraded to an HF transceiver. I did most of the Radio Constructor mods, which weren't too challenging as there's so much space below and above the chassis. I wonder how many of those carbon composition resistors are still in spec, and how the electrolytics have fared.

They must have sold well - they seem to crop up quite often at the NVCF etc. The styling has stood the test of time.
Old 25th Jan 2019, 5:13 pm   #138
Humptydumpty
Pentode

David hope that this news is not to upseting ,.

Started to replace the new caps ,first problem would be, that there no way that three of these Axial caps will fit into the small place inside the chassis ,.So i opted out to just replace one at a time . This way it would eliminate if it was the C40- 42 .

After i had worked through all three red wires from the old can .And re fitting the old wires back in place i still have the hum .
So now it looks like looking in another place to solve it .Pictures in the the next post .
Old 25th Jan 2019, 5:23 pm   #139
Humptydumpty
Pentode

The picture of progress. And in one way we now know that the C40 42 43 is ok .David you were right about the caps and to pick radial caps for this job . not axial caps .I wont be able to fit them in a can either .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04947.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	177090   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04946.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	177091   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04944.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	177092  
Old 25th Jan 2019, 7:03 pm   #140
JulietMike
Tetrode

Trev, I suspect that more than one capacitor in the can has dried up and replacing only one would not reduce the hum. It's a good idea to replace one at a time but also necessary to fit all three together, to be completly sure that those in the can are not faulty.

John
Closed Thread