UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jan 2019, 2:05 pm   #21
Vicboduk
Hexode

Default Re: Cheap valves on RS anyone tried them yet?

I have a couple of the 12AT7/ECC81's in my pantry transmitter which has had lots of use in the last couple of years, so quite a few powering on/off cycles.
They're still OK.

Vic
Old 16th Jan 2019, 9:04 pm   #22
ITAM805
Nonode

I've used them, 'AX7/AT7/6L6' for a couple of years now, a bit too early to say if they're any good in the long term. But I did however notice that the 'S' logo on the RS 6L6GC was identical to a 'Shuguang' brand, which have a pretty good reputation?
Old 16th Jan 2019, 10:13 pm   #23
bikerhifinut
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITAM805 View Post
I've used them, 'AX7/AT7/6L6' for a couple of years now, a bit too early to say if they're any good in the long term. But I did however notice that the 'S' logo on the RS 6L6GC was identical to a 'Shuguang' brand, which have a pretty good reputation?
And there you have it.
They are all from the chinese Shuguang plant, as are most of the current new manufacture chinese Valves.
The only differences I can ascertain are that some suppliers perform more rigorous testing and matching etc before putting them in boxes and selling on.

I've been using "Golden dragon" branded Valves in a Leak Stereo20 since 2003 and the same set is right now making music in front of me, that amp was in regular daily use for a fair few years and no dramas with the Chinese valves.
"Golden Dragon" is a brand name owned by PM components.

I think there are only something like 3 large manufacturers of valves worldwide now?

By the way, I'd advise to shop around for these valves as RS are excellent on some of the types but are pricier on others, as I remember the last time I was looking for some KT88/6550 the Chinese KT88 could be found in a few other outlets for less.
The EL84 prices are competitive however, and don't forget to add VAT to RS prices.

A.
Old 16th Jan 2019, 10:27 pm   #24
Michael Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
Pity they don't do ECC807s !
What about EM34’s or PX4’s

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Closed Thread