UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Aug 2018, 10:54 am   #1
steve.collier2
Pentode

Default Oscilloscope

Not sure if this is the right section or even the right forum ( in terms of the "vintage" ) but obviously you lot are very knowledgeable and use test equipment.

Back in the 90's I worked in electronic calibration, and if I needed an Oscilloscope for use at home I either borrowed a non calibrated one from the repair area or took my Fluke scopemeter home.

This is no longer an option unfortunately, the loan of company assets has been stopped ( its got to the stage where even to take a scrap pallet of cardboard box you need a scrap chit signing by a company director lol...)

Anyway, Im working on a well abused Belcom LS102 CB/10M radio from the early 80's.

I've got it going on receive, but there isnt any output on transmit, so I need to go through the chain and see what is (or isn't ) happening.

I could do with an oscilloscope, looking about 50MHz bandwidth, but I've no idea what's out there nowadays or where to buy. ( I'm assuming Johns Radio at Bradford has long since gone )

I don't really want an ebay "seems to power up " "project", and was wondering if anything reasonable is available new within an up to about 200 budget.
Old 16th Aug 2018, 11:33 am   #2
gingpeakin
Pentode

Default Re: Oscilloscope

Stewart of Reading are selling HP56400Bs for a really good 75. No connection with them other than I bought one of these from them a while back (for a lot more than that!).
It's one of the easiest scope I ever used (I currently have 29) and will easily show a signal up to 200MHz. The vertical system is good beyond that but the triggering gives up then.

Ging
Old 16th Aug 2018, 7:31 pm   #3
John10b
Heptode

Be patient and you might be lucky and get one offered to you, I did a few weeks ago for 50.
What do you do with all those scopes?
Cheers
John
Old 16th Aug 2018, 8:49 pm   #4
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Steve, usually some on offer cheaply at Golborne if you can wait until Nov

Ed
Old 17th Aug 2018, 6:44 pm   #5
SiriusHardware
Nonode

For CB/10M you may not need anything as ambitious as a 50MHz scope because all you really want to be able to see is the relative size of the RF envelope at various stages throughout the transmitter rather than individual cycles of the RF signal, so you may be able to use a 20MHz scope, that's all I have ever used to work on that type of set.

You can't resolve individual cycles of the 27/28MHz RF signal on a 20MHz scope so it all blends into a thick blue or green 'band', the thicker the band, the bigger the signal. If you're just hunting through the transmitter for the point where the signal disappears when it should be getting bigger, that is probably all you need.

Of course it doesn't hurt to aim high, and surplus 50 / 60Mhz scopes are a lot cheaper than they used to be.
Old 19th Aug 2018, 6:21 pm   #6
David Simpson
Octode

Steve, you might consider a HAMEG 605. That's my main workshop Scope. They're becoming more readily available as colleges & universities upgrade to TFT or LCD cheapo far-eastern scopes. Rightly so - avoid coughing up a heap of dosh for something on the internet. I'm sure a BVWS Swapmeet or Auction will be a good place to look. Regular stalwarts will keep you right.

Regards, David
Old 20th Aug 2018, 12:18 pm   #7
daviddeakin
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.collier2 View Post
was wondering if anything reasonable is available new within an up to about 200 budget.
The cheapest Rigol digital scope is 50MHz and less than 300, if you feel like stretching youself? They're a joy to work with!
Old 20th Aug 2018, 2:33 pm   #8
steve.collier2
Pentode

A sincere thank you to you all for the responses. Thanks to a member on here I'm now fixed up.
Closed Thread