UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Feb 2006, 9:53 am   #21
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: New BVWS DVD

I have just spent an absolutely splendid hour or so on Friday evening - thank you, Jon and everyone else - a brilliant effort!
I, too, was wondering how they were going to put the dag inside the bowl without getting it on the screen! Low-tech solutions often work.
Old 25th Feb 2006, 10:21 am   #22
Photo_Tube
Retired Dormant Member

Thats the great things about these sort of films - they are educational. I always wondered how they coated the front of the screen. The GEC film was interesting too, was that a Scammell Scarab (A three wheel truck) delivering GEC TV's - if so it must have been a shop local to the factory !
Old 25th Feb 2006, 10:49 am   #23
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarl Ayari
Is there any way of buying one of these DVD's as I am not yet a member of the BVWS, or if I started a membership soon would I be able to get one?
It is only available free to members, and may not be sold or resold in any form. Making them members-only simplifies copyright clearance, compared to one that is available for general sale.

If you join for this year you should get a copy (you could put a note on the form asking for one just to make sure). You will probably get some of the previous DVDs and CDs too, depending on which ones we still have copies of.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 25th Feb 2006 at 11:07 am.
Old 25th Feb 2006, 11:02 am   #24
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarl Ayari
Is there any way of buying one of these DVD's as I am not yet a member of the BVWS, or if I started a membership soon would I be able to get one?
Why not come to Harpenden on 5th March and join at the door. You will meet quite a few of us too. Mike Phelan, TVden and myself for certain.
Old 25th Feb 2006, 11:46 am   #25
murphymad
Heptode

Just for Info, and response to Andi,

The DVD is a BVWS members benefit, and I'm sorry, it is not for sale.
The Society make this point very clear to the original copyright holder and I am sure that this helps us when asking permission to use the material.

If you decide to join the Society, you will get all of the CD's and DVD's that we have produced, sent to you at time of joining.

We would be happy to gift the DVD to anyone who wishes to make a donation to a related registered charity, such as the "wireless for the blind fund", "The British Vintage Wireless and Television Museum", "HMS Collingwood Museum" etc.

Mike...
Old 25th Feb 2006, 11:58 am   #26
Brased
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphymad
If you decide to join the Society, you will get all of the CD's and DVD's that we have produced, sent to you at time of joining.
The 'joining pack' is superb and surely worth more than your first year's subscription, but then hopefully you will stay with us.

See you at Harpenden for the fun?

Edward
Old 25th Feb 2006, 12:48 pm   #27
Courtney Louise
Octode

Harpingdon I cant make this time round but I think I will join up straight away

Thanks for all the responces

Andi
Old 25th Feb 2006, 5:52 pm   #28
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brased
The 'joining pack' is superb and surely worth more than your first year's subscription...
I think that will be the five CD-ROMs and two DVDs then. An absolute bargain for around £20 then, even if you don't consider the four bulletins, access to the events, stall discounts at the NVCF, car sticker etc.

You can get a membership form at http://www.bvws.org.uk

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 1st Mar 2006, 12:37 am   #29
Sam
Hexode

I just watched my DVD and I found it fascinating. Jon did a great job sorting it out too. I wonder what people doing the Manufacturing lecture-options would make of it though!

Sam
Old 1st Mar 2006, 1:03 am   #30
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Just a cheeky thought - could the BVWS make these available in 405 line format?

Cheers
Sean
Old 1st Mar 2006, 9:13 am   #31
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Quote:
Just a cheeky thought - could the BVWS make these available in 405 line format?
Well, if there are any BVWS members who don't have a standards convertor and use 405 tapes for their sets then I'd guess something could be arranged. They would need to drive to Birmingham and bring their 405-compatable video recorder with them though.

TTFN,
Jon
Old 1st Mar 2006, 12:42 pm   #32
Panrock
Nonode

And here's an even cheekier thought. If we can get some sort of 405-line British heritage television service established on the internet in the near future, maybe a deal can be done with the BVWS to make such material available that way too...

Steve
Closed Thread