UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Aug 2018, 12:56 pm   #1
TrevorM6TSE
Hexode

Smile Anyone got a 0-30V 5A bench supply they don't need?

Hi,

I've decided to treat myself to a decent bench power supply after my old one failed high and nearly killed the device I connected to it!

I've looked at new prices on the likes of Amazon and there's a lot of price range as well as mixed reviews. I did wonder what the new switched mode ones are like?

I need around 0-30v DC and a current of about 5 amps max with the ability to control CV and CC so I can use it for charging etc as well.

I wondered if anybody had one they don't want. Maybe someone bought a Maplins one before they closed and want to pass it on?

PM me if you have anything.

Trevor
Old 21st Aug 2018, 2:46 pm   #2
mhennessy
Dekatron

Default Re: Anyone got a 0-30V 5A bench supply they don't need?

Thinking purely about second-hand units, as I'm not across the market for new ones (and I'm never impressed with what I see when I watch teardown videos)...

5A can be tricky. The Farnell L30-5 would fit the bill, if you can find one. I have one, and like it a lot. A bit big and heavy, but real heat sinks and a 50Hz mains transformer, but no fan noise. Analogue metering.

If you can cope with 4A, then the Thurlby PL320 QMD (quad-mode dual) is a good choice. Two separate 0-30, 0-2A supplies that can be put in series or parallel to give 30V at 4A or 60V at 2A. I have several of these, and use them a lot. I might be persuaded to part with one. Downsides: they aren't the easiest to work on, but they are basically pretty reliable.

Obviously, second-hand units will need a bit of TLC, which many (myself included) find to be rewarding and good fun. But if you're set on something new, I completely understand. Watch out for fan noise (as heat sinks are heavy and expensive), and watch out for electrical noise from switched-mode units - only you know your requirements, but I wouldn't expect to power a Hacker radio from a switcher, for example.

Mark
Old 21st Aug 2018, 5:51 pm   #3
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Haven't got something like that, well I have a L30-5, but am not selling. But do have a E30/1 I have spare, but this is probably no good to you, no CCS mode, not enough oomph.

If it were me I'd build my own, I have several suitable beefy tfmrs and suitable cases if you need parts.

Andy.
Old 21st Aug 2018, 6:39 pm   #4
mark_in_manc
Heptode

L30-E is a 5A device which I think is similar to L30-5 - I have one from the skip which folks here helped me to fix before we found out it wasn't broken I don't want rid of it I'm afraid; the one on eBay at the moment is expensive enough to be make me glad I don't need to buy it!
Old 22nd Aug 2018, 2:16 pm   #5
Oldtestgear
Hexode

I have a Farnell L30-5 PSU that I was planning to sell at the Newton Abbot Radio Rally this weekend, Was intending to ask 30 for it. Postage would be 10 using UPS. If you are interested then please PM me.

Phil
Old 22nd Aug 2018, 10:08 pm   #6
TrevorM6TSE
Hexode

Thanks very much everyone for the advice. It's certainly made me think about the newer switch mode supplies for a start!

The E30/1 is a kind offer, but agreed it's maybe not meaty enough for what I need. An L30-5 however seems a great option.

With that in mind, PM sent to Phil.

Will update the post with progress.

Thanks Trevor
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 7:12 am   #7
crackle
Nonode

I often see bench PSUs at BVWS events sometimes going for almost nothing, but a 5 amp one maybe different.

Mike

My collection in the Radio Museum
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 7:41 am   #8
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

The newer PSU's have more functionality, I max readout's etc, but the L30-5 is built like the proverbial brick outhouse and is easily fixable (in my case with some help), no logic circuits or SMPSU IC's to go wrong etc.

Glad you got sorted, Andy.
Old 25th Aug 2018, 4:46 pm   #9
WME_bill
Octode

Bench Power Supply. 30V 5A. Linear variable.
I have two which I would like to sell on, to gain some space here.
Coutant LB500-2. 30V 5A. both voltage and current limit variable, and metered.
24 lb weight.
Solartron AS1412-2. 40V 5A. Voltage set by digital switches to 0.1v, current by switches and metered. A very sophisticated unit, with a true constant current mode. 32 lb weight.
Both working well and with full manual. The variable posts may need a bit of use or lubrication to give a steady setting.
I suggest same price each as OldTestGear, 30 plus 10 courier carriage. Or collect from Exeter or Bristol areas.
Photographs attached.
wme_bill
Old 25th Aug 2018, 9:03 pm   #10
WME_bill
Octode

30V 5A power supplies.
Herewith the photographs which were not attached to my earlier post. Sorry. Both these units I would be happy to sell. 30 plus courier 10. Both working with manual.
Coutant LB500-2. 30V 5A the blue one
Solartron AS1412-2. 40V 5A the white one with digital switches.
Or collect from Exeter or Bristol.
wme_bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS1412-2_40v5A psu-15%.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	168079   Click image for larger version

Name:	LB500-2 picture-2-15%.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	168080  

Last edited by WME_bill; 25th Aug 2018 at 9:11 pm.
Old 29th Aug 2018, 6:27 pm   #11
TrevorM6TSE
Hexode

Hi All,

Just a quick note to say I am now the proud owner of a Farnell L30-E and all is well.

Great power supply.

Thanks