UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Apr 2021, 12:37 pm   #1
Spencervs
Hexode

Default Broken switch on my radio

Hi there, just wanted to check something with you guys. I broke the below connector on my on/off medium and long wave switch. This is from an Ever Ready Sky Queen. The joins were so hard to de-solder that the connector snapped off and left me with a little tag. So I was wondering the best way to fix this? Would a spade crimp connector or similar work? Could be crimped around the tag left and soldered for extra security (or shrink wrapped) then use the hole for the wires? Its a small hole on the spade connectors I have seen which is an issue and I don't know whether solder takes to these?

Thanks in advance!

Spencer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210411_113105383.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	231452  
Old 11th Apr 2021, 12:41 pm   #2
Restoration73
Nonode

Default Re: Broken switch on my radio

It might be easier to replace the switch - it looks a standard 4 pole 3 way rotary.
Old 11th Apr 2021, 1:01 pm   #3
Station X

You could try soldering a length of wire to the broken off tag, then join the yellow leads to the other end of the wire.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 11th Apr 2021, 4:56 pm   #4
Spencervs
Hexode

Hmm.. I'm keen to keep things original so I will try your suggection, Graham. It's good to know though that I can just get another one if all else fails. I was wondering whether you recommend solid wire or flexible?
Old 11th Apr 2021, 5:32 pm   #5
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

I think what I would do is this:
Drill a 1mm hole though the paxillin wafer next to the broken tag, then solder a strand of bare copper wire taken from a mains flex to the damaged tag, and thread it through the hole two or three times and tin with solder to form an alternative tag.
Old 23rd Apr 2021, 9:27 am   #6
jonnybear
Octode

This has happened to me before, if the lugs are that brittle with fatigue I would replace the switch, you will find it will happen again especially if you are doing a refurb, The originality of components does not come into play if item is broken brittle or is going to give problems in the future, Nearly all radios I come across have had some repair in there lifetime with components that were available at that time, (Radiospares caps and Pinnacle valves come to mind) very few fitted with original manufacturer's parts, in those days manufacturers spares were only kept for a few years anyway.

John
Old 23rd Apr 2021, 3:09 pm   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Additionally, to save this kind of problem, note that it is sometimes better (especially with the benefit of hindsight!) to simply cut off whatever's connected to tag as close as possible using flush-cutting sidecutters, remove the old solder using braid as far as possible (adding fresh solder and/or flux to help), then solder the new component neatly in place, leaving the remains of the old component's lead buried within the new joint.

Done skillfully, the results can look OK and in practice, be every bit as strong as if done in the "proper" [i.e. risky!] way.
Old 23rd Apr 2021, 7:31 pm   #8
emeritus
Dekatron

When I was a young engineer it was explained to me on a workshop course that the difficulty with melting old solder joints is usually caused by copper progressively diffusing into the solder (and vice versa), thereby producing a solder alloy with a much higher melting point than the original solder. As mentioned above, applying fresh (preferably tin/lead) solder when removing old soldered components should help, as it will dilute the copper content.

Last edited by emeritus; 23rd Apr 2021 at 7:36 pm. Reason: typos
Closed Thread